Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
David Legg

What will you tie on first?

I know that "opening day" is becoming an obsolete term these days, and lots of folks fish all year, but if you have a more or less traditional start to your fishing season, what is the fly you will cast first? Why do you choose that one, and what are you hoping to catch?

I will probably either tie on a small stimulator or elk hair caddis, with an absolute midge about 18 inches to 24 inches below it. Early season here seems to work well for me with that on a small stretch of the Big Thompson that I will probably be working on early. It has some heavily fished small brown trout and some small rainbows. They are cautious and tough to catch, and it's a good tuneup for the rest of the season. You have to be stealthy in approaching the water, keep a low profile, cast well, and be very very quick on setting the hook. I start there on my three weight, and once I am connecting there, I know I have my game back.

I will probably tie on a small, maybe size 10 brook trout patterned busktail streamer or black ghost......streamer fishing in early spring seems to work well where I fish.....I fish for wild brook trout when I go for trout....

Utah is a year round state, but Jan 1st is a traditional opener for me, and I threw a #18 grey olive cadfly with a #30 Futzer's navel lint nymph as a dropper. I caught one rainbow and one small cutty on East Emmigration creek. Even though nothing was on the surface, I still have to start with a dry fly.

Cheers, Futzer.

I will start my season (after the ice is off) with a spanish dancer and on the droppers an evil Weevil and a Spaatz.

After a long winter the gills and the crappie are hungry. And by them the boys are fed up with flyfishing in the puddles around the house and want to get some fish for the table.

Jeremy

It was a Bead Head Lifter. I was fishing for winter Steelhead and have been successful with it in the type of water I was fishing. No luck that day however.

We have a year round season on most of our waters here but opening day is technically March 1st. I think I'm going to chuck streamers and try to catch one of the lunkers they stock on opening day. Hopefully the rivers aren't as blown out as they are right now.

Mike

That all depends whether my first trip will be stillwaters or a river.

On Stillwaters, more than likely a Black/Red gold bead headed micro leech.

On Rivers, more than likely a Gold bead headed Hairs ear.

Rick

I fish year round but I consider the season opener on my favorite river which is memorial day weekend. I will swing a simple caddis with a caddis emerger trailer. Caddis hatches during this time are wild. You can't open your mouth at times and they get up your nose every once in awhile.

I can't wait.

Rob

I fish all year and tie 2 to 3 hours per day but I usually fish a 2 to 3 fly nymph rig or streamers, year round. Hetero-genius nymph and squirmie wormy will be on the line most of the time. Im boring :shocking: