Fly Tying
phly tire

head cement question

Can i use sally hansons hard as nails for head cement, or should i use cement specifically for tying flies? what cement do forum members use?

If you really feel you need to use head cement, Sally Hansons works very well. (I personally prefer to double-whip the head.)

thanks for the info. I am totally new, so this may sound like something obvious but i am going to guess you are talking about doing two whip finish with the materelli tool.

Sally Hansons is an excellent substitute for head cement and widely available.

thankyou for the info. i dont have a fly shop to purchase anything so once again the wallmart to the rescue.

Sally Hansons works great, you can also trip the brush so it is thinner to give you better control.

great tip about trimming the brush, i didnt think of that, will have to get out the scissors and get to work. thanks for the info.

I use Sally H.'s a lot. However, I apply it with toothpicks (round). Gives me much more control. I also use one of my used syringes to inject it into the base of parachute posts. One syringe full will last me for a tying session before it gums up to much to get thru the needle.

If you really feel you need to use head cement, Sally Hansons works very well. (I personally prefer to double-whip the head.)

thanks for the info. I am totally new, so this may sound like something obvious but i am going to guess you are talking about doing two whip finish with the materelli tool.

That's right. For medium-sized mayflies (12-16) I will make a 4- or 5-turn whip finish followed by a 3- or 4- turn whip finish. For smaller flies (18-22) I use fewer turns of thread. For really small flies I whip just once.

That's right. For medium-sized mayflies (12-16) I will make a 4- or 5-turn whip finish followed by a 3- or 4- turn whip finish. For smaller flies (18-22) I use fewer turns of thread. For really small flies I whip just once.

Interesting . . . I think you'll find that just one taut 4-turn whip finish and just one tiny drop of fresh Sally Hansen's placed on top and allowed to soak into the thread wraps will provide less bulk than double-whipping the head, and assuming the rest of the fly was tyed tight, will be just as durable. In my humble opinion, double-whipping the head on a dry fly is overkill and adds unnecessary bulk to the head. To each his own, though.

-- Mike

I use Sally H.'s a lot. However, I apply it with toothpicks (round). Gives me much more control. I also use one of my used syringes to inject it into the base of parachute posts. One syringe full will last me for a tying session before it gums up to much to get thru the needle.

dude - just cut away 1/2 the bristles and you will have plenty of control (wipe off the brush with a tissue first) and you can ditch the toothpicks - Greg

Sally h actually has an almost identical chemical composition as Hard as Hull and is way cheaper.

This is true but Hard as Hull doesn't yellow when it cures like Sally Hansen's does