Fly Tying
BigDaddyHub

Adult Stone Skater

This one can be tied in any color combination, with or without legs, and in sizes up to a Sz 4. For the large version, you need a neddle ( (I sometimes use a piece of thin round steel like that from an old baby clothes hanger) that is large enough to allow a "platform" to segment and tie your foam. Blk and orange are great colors. I have also tied this with a thundercreek style head and flash wing. Have fun wit hthis one. It's simple, effective, and productive for both trout and panfish as it doubles as a nice hopper imitation.

Last August Floyd rejuvenated my love for foam and I tied this one in September. I love Floyd's technique of sliding rubber round of contrasting colors in between the foam for some great schemes and added flare.

this is a great fly BDH! really enjoying it! how do you think it would work if it had a wing behind the hackle sort of like a cdc stone?

I see you'r keeping up with your needle work. Good looking fly Chris. I bet it's a fish getter for sure. Good job. :thumbup:

Fishboy,

I think it would work just fine. I have tied this fly in a number of ways and find that the version posted here catches as many fish as others with more elaborate accessories like legs or wings, but it's the tier's preference.

Thank you, Floyd. I love my needles! :lol:

That is a really nice looking fly. I like the segmentation. It's nicely done.

Thanks, Paul. IT's really an elementary skating pattern. Nothing hard to it. Adding more to the fly tends to add bulk and subtract from its elegant skate. Any less, and I felt like one would loose the "profile" of the fly. All I really know for sure is it's deadly on the panfish and bass when skated across eddys and tail outs.

what makes this fly a skater?

i thought skater style flies have 2 hackles tied toward each other

that just looks palmered hackle stone bugger or something

I`m no saying anything is wrong with it at all but i just have been learning about these a couple weeks ago

and the name caught my eye but didn't look like a skater cause of the hackle points

so i did a search and found this

The key to tying the skater pattern is in the technique.

The rear hackle is tied with the bright side to the rear.

The front hackle is bright side forward and the middle can face either way.

The hackles are then pressed together so that the tips come to a point above and below the shank.

post-23329-1266175571_thumb.png

you're exactly right about the definition of a "skater" fly. I call this one a skater because that's the fashion it is fished. It 's fished by allowing the fly to sit motionless for a few moments , then pulled across the surface by raising your rod tip and lightly pulling the fly creating your tradtional skating wake. Now, with extended foam body the wake is subtle, but not as subtle as the wake created by a traditional hackle skater, much like the example you posted. The wake this fly creates greater displacement and pushes more water; appears the fly is attempting to leave the film. You can fish it more aggressively and make it appear it's struggling. You are exactly dead on about your understanding of traditional skater flies. The moniker skater, in this case, refers to the style I fish it.