sculpin2R.jpg

sculpin3R.jpg

15 mm Waddington shank

Tail: mini zonker strip

Flash: 3 strands DNA chromosome one each side

Hackle: schlappen

Head/ collar: rabbit in a dubbing loop and trimmed

Eyes: 5/32 nickel I-Balz

Great looking fly. I like the tandem setup with the stinger behind the short hook.

I am curious... did you tie the eye balls Clouser style? If so, I would guess we are viewing it with the primary hook riding point up in the first image. Or did you use a shank with only the stinger to hook up? I can't quite make out the hook bend in the image.

Looks like a wadington shank cut short Dave, but I'll let Nanook set us straight for the last word on that. I would like a materials list on this bad boy though.

Looks like a wadington shank cut short Dave

Joe listed it as a 15mm shank , which is the smallest wadd available . It's pretty tiny next to the BIG BOY 55mm version . I use a lot of 15mm wadd's for trout streamers now a days .

Way cool shank Joe .... me likey very much !!!

Mike

Carl, schlappen is the hackle that is found at the base of the tail, primarily on a rooster chicken, it's part of the saddle that is all webby material. A lot of folks use it on spey type flies, saltwater flies, salmon & steelhead flies, where a soft, but long hackle fiber is needed.

Great looking fly! I don't do much trout fishing, but I can see a lot of potential in this one as a Smallmouth fly! :)

Schlappen is poppin and hopin! :ban: I love the stuff, it's great for steelhead flies and other large streamers, kinda like saddle hackle on steroids! I'ts a little longer and webier than saddle. The correct pronunciation for it is SHLOP-UN , hence the rhyme, schlappen is hoppin and poppin :kicking: