Fly Tying
BigDaddyHub

Peacock Bass in SoFlo

Guest rich mc

i would enjoy tackling some of them too. i did hear that exotic fish in south florida took a hit with the major coldsnap a month ago. water got below 60 degrees and there was a fish kill reported . rich mc

I had not heard that, Rich. I know the speckled peacocks the State stocked years back died because they require warmer average water temps than the butterfly species. Any news from you FLA guys?

My wife goes to a "conference" (yeah right...) in Miami for a week every June. I've always wanted to go and do exactly what you're talking about, cast flies to peacocks in the canals. Never works out though.

If you get to go before I do, you have to promise to let me live the experience vicariuosly through you! Don't really know why I'm so infatuated with peacocks lately, but I'm enjoying all the information the guys have graciously shared. Maybe I need to find a "training" conference in the Miami area and get the DOC to pay for the fishing, uh, I mean "training", yeah, training.

They are fun. You should do it sometime. If I wasn't so darn far away now, I'd roadtrip back there to go after tarpon, and would probably hit the peacocks and the snook too, while I was at it.

I had not heard that, Rich. I know the speckled peacocks the State stocked years back died because they require warmer average water temps than the butterfly species. Any news from you FLA guys?

Anyone else hear of potential fish kills?

I saw a couple of bad fish kills when I lived in Florida, but they were from excessive stretches of heat without rain... the water was deoxygenated, and the fish over about five pounds all went pects up. I haven't personally seen any die from a hard freeze, and we had a bad one when I lived there. It might have had limited impact on the fish in my area though... they weren't that exotic. The inland species I went after were primarily tarpon, largemouths, and snook in the canals.

Hmm I'm heading down in 2 weeks for some biz mtgs and I'm extending my trip a few days to fish salt with a guide and buddy out of Tampa. Was hoping to get some early tarpon, but with the cold weather its likely to be jacks and maybe deep sea for some grouper. We had a down day, got some spring training tickets, maybe some of this bass fishing could fill the time.

big daddy you should head to brazil for some peacock bass, the scenery there is amazing and you could get some help baiting your hook (if you know what I mean).... its a good thing your wife doesn't read this site. :bugeyes:

Trying to stay "in country" Salty, and FLyfisher13 says "hi" and "He's not going to Brazil." Nice thought, though!

Trying to stay "in country" Salty, and FLyfisher13 says "hi" and "He's not going to Brazil." Nice thought, though!

:lol:

Trying to stay "in country"

I guess you have never been to Miami before, I travel a lot for work and you have to go through Miami to get anywhere in South or Latin America... once I get to Miami, I consider myself to be out of the country. LOL

Ain't it tho. :rolleyes:

Actually, before I was married and had a job with real benefits and a payroll, I managed to load up the mule and get outta the holler every once in a while.

Wait a minute....Isn't PA the midline tier of the Appalachians? Specifically the Allegheny Appalachians? Call the kettle black, pot! LOL!