Fly Tying
BigDaddyHub

Peacock Bass in SoFlo

JC - Very nice deerhair flies! You should compare a mirrolure fly version with those. The mirrolure fly is similar, except the eyes are moved farther down the shank which makes it sink more horizontally. Thanks for sdharing. I'm definitely adding a few of those to the kit ;)

Yes everything JJD is true, the only thing I can add is, those fish are wild and eats almost everything, but the best fly is the clouser minnow and deer hair patterns.I used a 7 wt rod but most of the time I use a 7' 6" 4wt rod is sufficient to the Cichla ocellaris (peacock bass).Here in PR and Florida live the same species "Cichla ocellaris" unfortunately we don't have the "Cichla temensis" which is the largest species, but we not must import because we have this one, that is very good too and grow up to 12 pound.

javicruzito, you tie some wicked looking flies. I really like the coloring on the firetiger

JC - Very nice deerhair flies! You should compare a mirrolure fly version with those. The mirrolure fly is similar, except the eyes are moved farther down the shank which makes it sink more horizontally. Thanks for sdharing. I'm definitely adding a few of those to the kit ;)

JJD,

Do you have a picture or recipe for the mirrolure fly?

Damn, now I have to go to FLA and PR! Jamie's not gonna like this! Man, the last few posts make me dream of summer and bend flyrods. Beautiful ties and fish!

I was thinking about the dead fish all being by a power plant discharge. This would make sense if the water was still cold in the surrounding area. The warmer water flowing out would speed decomposition and gas would build quicker in the fishes belly. Although if a fish was in the warmer water it should have survived the cold. Maybe fish were shocked entering warmer flow from extreme cold? Does the warm water always flow or is it intermittant? Im just guessing though. Wierd anyways.

I was thinking about the dead fish all being by a power plant discharge. This would make sense if the water was still cold in the surrounding area. The warmer water flowing out would speed decomposition and gas would build quicker in the fishes belly. Although if a fish was in the warmer water it should have survived the cold. Maybe fish were shocked entering warmer flow from extreme cold? Does the warm water always flow or is it intermittant? Im just guessing though. Wierd anyways.

That's a good point. I always thought the warm outflow was pretty consistent but maybe it's not. If the outflow shut off then the water temp would drop pretty quickly during a cold spell and could kill any fish that gathered there to keep warm. It was pretty wierd that we didn't see any dead fish away from the plant except an occasional floater who had obviously drifted out with the tide, and even these were all within a mile or so of the plant's channel.

Hey, those are some great looking peacocks you've caught! Nice work. I like the flies you two are showing off there too. I am looking forward to seeing the Mirrolure fly when you post it.

Thanks, look at the hump of these male Peacock Bass, are beauitiful!

Those are awesome fish!

Thanks Guys, those fish are amazing, imagine 50, 60 or even 100 + fish in a day (with a partner) it's insane, Peacock Bass are wild I love this fish!

Not a very good picture, but here's a mirrolure fly. The key points are lead dumbell eyes tied mid-shank, and deerhair trimmed to a cylinder

post-4245-1268111052_thumb.jpg

Here's my favorite deceiver after a few years of fishing for peacocks. Slim and sparse to imitate a juvenile.

post-4245-1268111511_thumb.jpg

Ohh! ok JJD, this is a great fly, I tie it but with craft fur and is super for Peacock Bass and for Tarpon and Snook also.Another great fly for Peacock Bass is the Diver in firetiger color, like the picture below.

post-18214-1268114969_thumb.jpg

post-18214-1268114984_thumb.jpg

post-18214-1268114995_thumb.jpg