Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
GR8LAKES FLYER

A Fly for Celeste

My daughter (6) had an operation last week and is un-able to join her brother and sister at school to her dismay She was getting bored playing with her dolls and wanted to do something different . She remembered that her older sister sat down a few times at the vise and tied a fly or two with me and she thought it was time she do the same ..... with daddy's help . She wanted to pick the colours and the feathers .... she helped prep the hackles , dub the body , helped wind the ribbing and held and set her first wing !!!!!! I'm so stoked ... I had to share !!

Celeste's Barbie Girl

SpeysandCenturys002.jpg

Celeste's Barbie Girl

Hook: Partridge CS10/1

Tag: Laguartun Medium Gold tinsel

Tail: GP tippet veiled by Teal flank

Butt: Black Ostrich

Body: Rear 1/3 Rose Pink floss ; Front 2/3 Hare's ear blended with UV purple

Rib: Laguartun Medium Gold tinsel , counter ribbed with x-fine embossed silver tinsel

Hackle: Egyptian Goose Breast , one side stripped

Collar: Ringneck pheasant rump

Wing: Egyptian Goose Flank

Head: Camel Brown

Mike

looks sweet.....I too had my 4 and 6 year olds tying the other day....they're fans of the glow flash!!....egyptian goose....that one is new to me

Love the color combination, subtle with a bit of color. That would fish well over here on the West Coast during summer.

That's amazing! Beautiful fly too! Thanks for sharing a great story!

:thumbup: :clapping:

What a special and gorgeous fly, Mike! You should think about getting the fly professionally framed as a present for Celeste. Thanks for sharing.

Thank-you all for the well wishes and the comments on our fly !! Celeste is recovering nicely and starting to talk again ... her throat must be very sore . She is estatic , since she is hearing alot more than what she use to and she says , "I feel brand new again" ..... bless her heart . Mom and dad are estatic :yahoo:

We have picked out a shadow "frame" and will sit down together and mount the fly with a photo of us sitting at the vise .... a very special memory for both of us . Celeste is very happy with the comments of her fly and is really excited about this new "craft" . She is already making crayon versions of the next couple of flies she would like to try to tie with me ..... she really has a creative little mind !!

Mike

looks sweet.....I too had my 4 and 6 year olds tying the other day....they're fans of the glow flash!!....egyptian goose....that one is new to me

Beleive it or not, I owned an Egyptian goose. It came as a gosling with a brood purchases from a Southern States retailer. Imagine my concern when , in just a matter of days, it began to look completely different from the other white farm geese. Google it and you'll see they're beautiful animals. Be sure to note the cool eyes. Sorry, Mike, didn't mean to hijack your wonderful thread. My best to you and your daughter.

No worries at all BigDaddy !!

Egyptian Goose is such a cool bird .... wicked feathers . Hues of brown's , olive's , orange's and red's in flank , breast and secondaries .... endless opportunities !!!!

Mike

She must have the fly fishergirl genes, as that is one beautiful color combination. I might have to give that recipe a try someday..

Hope she is doing better.

Chris

Thanks guys !!

Celeste started speech therapy this week and is progressing in leaps and bounds !!!! :headbang: :headbang: She has a full tone range , which means she hears everything that is going on around her .... including what mom and dad are saying :P

I've tied up a few extra of this pattern for fishing and will be giving them a swing as soon as the ice leaves the river .

Thank-you all again for the prayers and well wishes :)

Mike

Did Celeste get a Koklear implant? Only reason I ask is because I had a friend in Texas who got the surgery and it was an incredible transformation.