Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
cornmuse

The Orange Nymph

It's been a very productive fly for me, particularly with yellow perch in the early part of the season. This is a fly I concocted back around 1975 or so and I fished it regularly for about 4 or 5 years. I haven't tied the pattern since about 1980 or so, but in playing around with some of my old fly boxes and going through old fishing journals and notes I was reminded of how well this one produced, so I figured I'd share here.

Joe C.

Thanks too answer and history of the coming into existence of the fly. After colour and materials one can see, that he isn't fish indifferent. Certainly he will try out at the beginning of the season in my stream.

Best

i like it

it should fish well for steelhead

you say you like perch try a small red leech w/ a bead head for them

i have done really well with a red leech in the spring on panfish

That's a great looking fly! I'm not surprised to hear it fishes well!

I really like this fly. I like the balance, the proportions, the way the golden pheasant tippet theme ties the whole fly together into an attractive whole. Great choices of dubbing color and texture and ostrich herl to play off of the tippets. I've never seen tippets used that way before for a wingcase and legs but I find it creative and quite attractive. In short, very nice, great job!

-- Mike

this little nymph has stonefly written all over it....The tippets really set of the fly, especially for the legs...very nice touch. I know a little mountain stream in Letcher County . Tellicos drive those little fish wild. This would be a very nice companion fly for that flow.

Have you ever drifted that in the Mad or in Brookville?

I can tell you honestly that I haven't fished this pattern in at least 30 years. I was reminded about the Crappie Killer pattern by a long-time childhood friend and he asked if I'd tie him a few. So I did - and I pulled out an old fly box to see what else I used to tie back then. This fly (not the one pictured, but a chewed up 30 year old version) was in there and I remembered how well the Orange Nymph produced for me. There were a few guys who fished them, but mostly it was just something that I fished early in the season. I didn't give it much thought. Once I saw it I knew I had to tie a fresh one - and that prompted me to share the pattern.

I've got no doubt the Mad brownies will slobber all over it. I hope to fish it there on Saturday. And I'll bet anyone a dollar that this fly will absolutely take carp. That's got me the most excited - tailing carp on this nymph.

This is a pattern that I tied based on something I saw in a magazine article or book - this would have been circa 1972. I know that I didn't have the materials to tie the fly I saw, but liking the orange colors and use of tippets in the tail I concocted the Orange Nymph. It's pretty and easy to tie - and using a yarn body is pretty old-school too. I still like it...

Joe C.

I think your right about the browns. I think they're going to love it. Hadn't even thought about it for the carp, but I bet it's a good choice! Post some pics of your results! Good luck on the Mad. Get a good one!