Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
stream

Hackle for a prince nymph

Ok i am need of simple help. I like to fish with prince nymph's beaded and with leg's , I want to tye some but i am havign a hard time getting the hackle to flair right I am either using the wrong hackle or something . I am trying to use soft hen saddle but they don't seem to be long enough. so somebody please help me.

Ok i am need of simple help. I like to fish with prince nymph's beaded and with leg's , I want to tye some but i am havign a hard time getting the hackle to flair right I am either using the wrong hackle or something . I am trying to use soft hen saddle but they don't seem to be long enough. so somebody please help me.

Hen neck or saddle should work fine. Try to find a good tutorial on wet fly hackle.

Try natural Coq De Leon. Looks like partridge, but is bigger. If you need a pic, just PM me.

To clarify, I think threadpuller is talking about hen CDL, not rooster. Nice stuff if a bit hard to find, and better leg material than hackle, in my opinion.

Up until recently I've used Whiting hen cape hackle for my Prince nymphs which is an expensive but workable solution. More recently I purchased some hen capes from Hugh Spencer which are perfect for the range I tie and quite affordable. Might be worth looking at.

I use a soft hackle saddle! It always works well for me. Just remember that if you are having a problem with not having enough feather you should only be making 1-2 wraps of the feather!

Use a "tiers grade" or mid-range rooster saddle. Basically dry fly hackle, but not the high-end whiting or hoffman.

tie it in so that when you start to wrap, the first hackle barbs are on the far side of the hook, and take exactly 1 and a half turns. Tie off clip. The whip finish know should flare the hackle back.