Fly Tying
Dart

About to sink money into hackle: Howard Hackle v. Whiting

I'm thinking of buying some Howard Hackle necks to beef up my materials stash. The only dry fly hackle I own is a full Whiting Bronze Brown Saddle, an older Metz cape and a few Whiting 100's packs. I'm considering cashing in my belated "Christmas" and "Birthday" presents to buy some top grade hackles. I haven't tied as frequently as I would have liked since I started the hobby, but I hope to change that.

I haven't had any issues with Whiting, but since I'm a novice, perhaps I haven't "seen the light." I was considering Howard's necks since J.Stockard is backordered on the colors I'd want (black, white, light natural dun, badger, barred ginger). I like to tie just for the heck of it, but I've never fished for trout, and don't see myself going on a trout trip anytime soon. Primarily, we'll be fishing for panfish... maybe 2-4 times per year. I'll be using hackle for anything from tailing and hackling sz 10 bream poppers to size 16 drys that will probably never see water (unless I can find them a happy home).

So, all of that rambling to ask: If you had practically no dry fly hackle and had $300ish to spend, what would you buy?

I'm thinking of buying some Howard Hackle necks to beef up my materials stash. The only dry fly hackle I own is a full Whiting Bronze Brown Saddle, an older Metz cape and a few Whiting 100's packs. I'm considering cashing in my belated "Christmas" and "Birthday" presents to buy some top grade hackles. I haven't tied as frequently as I would have liked since I started the hobby, but I hope to change that.

I haven't had any issues with Whiting, but since I'm a novice, perhaps I haven't "seen the light." I was considering Howard's necks since J.Stockard is backordered on the colors I'd want (black, white, light natural dun, badger, barred ginger). I like to tie just for the heck of it, but I've never fished for trout, and don't see myself going on a trout trip anytime soon. Primarily, we'll be fishing for panfish... maybe 2-4 times per year. I'll be using hackle for anything from tailing and hackling sz 10 bream poppers to size 16 drys that will probably never see water (unless I can find them a happy home).

So, all of that rambling to ask: If you had practically no dry fly hackle and had $300ish to spend, what would you buy?

Most of my hackle is Whiting, and I am very happy with nearly all of it. I have a lot of it, btw. I have a number of dry fly capes and saddles, some tailing packs, streamer packs, bugger packs, a 100s pack, some chick-a-bou capes, some bird fur and some spey capes, and I just got a pack of flat wing hackle. I am a fan of Whiting hackle. I have never tried Howard hackle though, so I can only give you my opinion on the one side of the question.

If you aren't in a hurry, aquire a single howard cape or saddle, and see how you like it.

I really do believe that Doc Whiting has got the lowdoen on hackles that's for sure. I did notice that the hwards had a nice biginners dry fly hackle assortment that was inexpensive and looked to be a decent deal. I hate buying hackle without gettin my grubbies on it ans really going over the cape to see if it's something I want. Just my 2 cents. I'd spend as little as possible on a dry fly cape, especially if you don not plan on tying many dires and would concentrate my money on more bass oriented hackles ie , saddles, and such.

I love J. Stockard and order from them a lot and I love whiting hackle. If your looking for quality hackle without the whiting price tag try the one below. Try Jim's for whiting and his own brand of hackle.

Straight from the farm here. High quality and very reasonable.

Conranch Hackle

Incredible selection.

Jim's Fly Co.

I love J. Stockard and order from them a lot and I love whiting hackle. If your looking for quality hackle without the whiting price tag try the one below. Try Jim's for whiting and his own brand of hackle.

Straight from the farm here. High quality and very reasonable.

Conranch Hackle

Incredible selection.

Jim's Fly Co.

What's the difference between Cree and normal feathers? I see mature and JV hens capes and saddles for sale and the "cree" is 5 bones more. What's the deal oh illustrious Mr. Old Hat. Could you enlighten this youngster (me)?

cree hackles are a certain color of golden brown that is perfectly barred in black with a white hue and are extremely rare

They are rare. Whiting is producing about one out of 1000 capes or saddles in Cree. They are pretty though... they are barred in white, black and brown. Some are prettier than others.

I have an uncanny fascination with Cree and the genetics of Dry Fly capes in general. Doc Whiting has inbreded his flock so much, he can predict the alleles of his birds 3 generations into the future!!! I wouldn't go with anything but Whitings... it's like buying a Koenigsegg - you know you're getting the best!

I too vote Whiting. But as stated earlier, if you don't plan on using it very often why are you investing in it(dry fly capes)? If you primarily do the panfish thing and you only plan on doing that 2-4 times a year I don't see the point.

But if you must, again my vote is Whitings. Great stuff, can't beat it.

I too vote Whiting. But as stated earlier, if you don't plan on using it very often why are you investing in it(dry fly capes)? If you primarily do the panfish thing and you only plan on doing that 2-4 times a year I don't see the point.

Well, I do enjoy tying flies regardless of whether or not I have the opportunity to use them. I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist (to the best of my ability), so I like to use the best materials and give every fly my best attempt. Who knows... maybe one day I'll get into trout fishing pretty heavily. :D

I've only had good experiences with Whiting. Given the feedback in this forum, I suppose I'll wait until J.Stockard has the colors I need... unless anyone else has a good whiting source. John posted a good link for 1/2 Dry Fly Saddles, but they're in sizes 14-16. I'd want sizes 10-14 primarily. That's why I was thinking of going with necks.

What's the verdict on necks vs saddles?

Well, I do enjoy tying flies regardless of whether or not I have the opportunity to use them. I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist (to the best of my ability), so I like to use the best materials and give every fly my best attempt. Who knows... maybe one day I'll get into trout fishing pretty heavily. :D

I've only had good experiences with Whiting. Given the feedback in this forum, I suppose I'll wait until J.Stockard has the colors I need... unless anyone else has a good whiting source. John posted a good link for 1/2 Dry Fly Saddles, but they're in sizes 14-16. I'd want sizes 10-14 primarily. That's why I was thinking of going with necks.

What's the verdict on necks vs saddles?

Necks will give you a variety of sizes from maybe 8 or 10, for example down to the mid 20s in sizes. Saddles usually only give you two or three sizes, but you can select the sizes you really want. I have some saddles that are ranging around 10-14. Some of the new Whiting Euro Saddles give you that range... they are a derivative of the Hebert Miner line from Whiting, and lean toward the larger sizes. I have one of the new Euro saddles, and the hackle quality is great, as expected. Saddles tend to have higher barb count per inch, so that's another benefit. Get a cape if you want variety, get a saddle if you want to focus on a more specific range of sizes. Some sellers will size them for you before you buy. Whiting used to do that, but only do that on some packages now.

You won't get better than Whiting, Period..... The Cree is rare, but possable. Cree is a "grizzly variant". BTW. shops are charging more for capes or saddles in Cree and it should not be the case. If you find a shop that does that, beware. It does not cost them anymore.

Yep I have to agree, Whiting but why do you want it? Spend the money on a nice trip and go fishing. You can tie poppers with indian or chineese necks for 10.00 each :) If your only tying a few dries just to tie them I'd just pick up Whiting 100 packs as you need them.

I am slightly biased toward Whiting.....but for good reason, they are truly masters of raising birds for fly tying

There is a good image of a cree here and an explanation of a variant

http://www.whitingfarms.com/prod_whiting.html

http://www.whitingfarms.com/articles/variant.html

I would be looking at some of the bugger packs or popper packs for your tying as well