Fly Tying
Dart

About to sink money into hackle: Howard Hackle v. Whiting

David

If my remarks offended I'm sorry it wasn't meant that way. Kinda have this hackle arguement with a guy I know here in Vermont, and after he tried some other brands he was kinda put out that he was stuck in the one supplier niche.

Excellent article you posted.

I know everyone is out to get the best hackle that can be bred, but I'd sure as heck wish they hadn't bred the really good spade hackle out when they did it. I've looked at alot and it's just really tough to get good spade hackle for tailing. That's why I spent the $20 bucks and tried the 4 colors of tailing packs that Collins offered.

Fatman

The Whiting Coq de Leon capes are really nice for tailing! Actually, I think they are Herbert-Miner but same crap different smell!

Titan- It's a whole different smell: the Coq-de-Leon birds are from imported Spanish stock. (Which is not to say the Whiting Company hasn't started crossing them with "genetic" birds. I sure would!)

Fatman- Where did you buy your tailing packs? And what is your assessment of them? I could be wrong, but I don't think the spade feathers have been completely bred out of the "genetic" birds. I suspect the spade feathers are lost when the necks are being trimmed. (I wonder what happens to them?)

Titan- It's a whole different smell: the Coq-de-Leon birds are from imported Spanish stock. (Which is not to say the Whiting Company hasn't started crossing them with "genetic" birds. I sure would!)

Fatman- Where did you buy your tailing packs? And what is your assessment of them? I could be wrong, but I don't think the spade feathers have been completely bred out of the "genetic" birds. I suspect the spade feathers are lost when the necks are being trimmed. (I wonder what happens to them?)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fly-Tying-Whiting-Coq-...=item45f1504377

David

If my remarks offended I'm sorry it wasn't meant that way. Kinda have this hackle arguement with a guy I know here in Vermont, and after he tried some other brands he was kinda put out that he was stuck in the one supplier niche.

Excellent article you posted.

I know everyone is out to get the best hackle that can be bred, but I'd sure as heck wish they hadn't bred the really good spade hackle out when they did it. I've looked at alot and it's just really tough to get good spade hackle for tailing. That's why I spent the $20 bucks and tried the 4 colors of tailing packs that Collins offered.

Fatman

I see what you're saying... thanks for clarifying. And I agree with you about the problems with good tailing material. How do you like the Collins packs? I saw those reviewed recently somewhere, and they look pretty nice. I've been using a couple of the new Whiting tailing packs that are Coq de Leon, and they do an excellent job, though the colors I have seen are quite limited. I have ginger and dark pardo.

Guys

For the tailing packs I called Collins after getting some info on them from folks at different boards. My assessment of them is excellent!!!!!!!!!!! One thing I would do with them if you buy them, switch them over to 1 gallone Zip lock bags, it spreads them out.

I don't know if he's still charging only $5 bucks a bag on them but I bought one of each color pack and it is ALOT of feathers in each of the bags.

Earlier in the thread I also posted that some folks are even tying Hewitt Skaters with the feathers they'r that good.

Just remember if you want to get them you have to CALL. He has a somewhat web site now at http://collinshacklefarm.com/

Fatman

Dart - sorry to hear of the job loss. It is not an easy event in any way shape or form. Just keep an eye on the adventure before you. Blessings your way.

...it's funny though that you mention the soft hackles, I got into tying soft hackles initially because I was fed up with the prices of decent dry fly hackle.

Dart - sorry to hear of the job loss. It is not an easy event in any way shape or form. Just keep an eye on the adventure before you. Blessings your way.

...it's funny though that you mention the soft hackles, I got into tying soft hackles initially because I was fed up with the prices of decent dry fly hackle. Now I'm buying silk thread, antique hooks, and imported game bird skins.

Carl, thanks for the kind words and words of wisdom. I'm just using partridge now on softhackles, but I've got a starling skin too... I just don't have any hooks small enough. I'd be interested in seeing some of your softhackle skins.

Carl, thanks for the kind words and words of wisdom. I'm just using partridge now on softhackles, but I've got a starling skin too... I just don't have any hooks small enough. I'd be interested in seeing some of your softhackle skins.

What hook sizes do you want to try? PM me your address and I'll send you some.

David <><

Guys

For the tailing packs I called Collins after getting some info on them from folks at different boards. My assessment of them is excellent!!!!!!!!!!! One thing I would do with them if you buy them, switch them over to 1 gallone Zip lock bags, it spreads them out.

I don't know if he's still charging only $5 bucks a bag on them but I bought one of each color pack and it is ALOT of feathers in each of the bags.

Earlier in the thread I also posted that some folks are even tying Hewitt Skaters with the feathers they'r that good.

Just remember if you want to get them you have to CALL. He has a somewhat web site now at http://collinshacklefarm.com/

Fatman

That is some great information! Thanks for sharing that!

David <><