Fly Tying
cspears0006

Spinning Deer hair

Hey Friends I am going to try something tonight that I have been putting off. I am gonna try to spin and maybe stack deer hair. I have watched the videos got the supplies so it's about time I try this. I will post pics. tomorrow for everyone. Does anyone have any Tips, tricks, or pics. before I start? And please don't critique to harsh it will be my first time.

Tips or tricks?

Don't spin on a bare hook shank. Lay down a single layer of thread first. Otherwise your spun body/head/whatever will not be stable and will likely slide around on the hook later.

Just my $.02.

Tips or tricks?

Don't spin on a bare hook shank. Lay down a single layer of thread first. Otherwise your spun body/head/whatever will not be stable and will likely slide around on the hook later.

Just my $.02.

Thanx Friend I will remember that. :D

Have vacuum and a big trash can on stand by!

LOL, I agree it does look like a messy job, the wife will not be happy...lol

Start with something simple, like a Tap's Bug (deer hair popper with a simple bucktail tail).

Make sure you tie on to the hook shank ahead of, not at, the hook bend so your fly's body doesn't migrate into the bend as you tie your fly.

Make sure your tail is tightly secured with thread wraps and superglue before proceeding to the rest of the fly.

Make sure you use adequately-sized bundles of hair (in other words, not too small) -- at least a couple of pencil thicknesses.

Get a $1 plastic flea comb from the pet store and use it to brush out the underfur from each hair bundle you're about to tie on.

Make sure each section of hair is secure before moving on to the next one by adding tight thread wraps around the bundle(s), and doing 3 or 4 thread wraps and a couple of half-hitches in front, which are then packed backwards as hard as you can muster.

If there's any room left behind the hook eye at all, add more hair.

It helps to have both very sharp scissors and double-edged razor blades when you do your hair trimming. The razor blade is also useful for cutting the GSP.

Appropriate, careful and meticulous trimming is just as important as the spinning/stacking for the final appearance of the fly. When you trim, always trim the bottom flat first, regardless whether it's a popper or diver, and make sure it's perfectly perpendicular to the hook bend. Then, looking at the fly from the bottom, trim the sides to form the overall outline of the fly. These initial cuts on the bottom and sides will then be your orientation and reference points for trimming the rest of the fly.

Hair that has been trimmed off cannot be replaced -- take your time and be very mindful of the angle of the scissor blades or razor blade as you make each cut.

Have fun with it! Most who've spent time doing this know that tying basic deer hair poppers and divers is really not difficult and you will get better quickly with just a little time and practice.

Start with something simple, like a Tap's Bug (deer hair popper with a simple bucktail tail).

Make sure you tie on to the hook shank ahead of, not at, the hook bend so your fly's body doesn't migrate into the bend as you tie your fly.

Make sure your tail is tightly secured with thread wraps and superglue before proceeding to the rest of the fly.

Make sure you use adequately-sized bundles of hair (in other words, not too small) -- at least a couple of pencil thicknesses.

Get a $1 plastic flea comb from the pet store and use it to brush out the underfur from each hair bundle you're about to tie on.

Make sure each section of hair is secure before moving on to the next one by adding tight thread wraps around the bundle(s), and doing 3 or 4 thread wraps and a couple of half-hitches in front, which are then packed backwards as hard as you can muster.

If there's any room left behind the hook eye at all, add more hair.

It helps to have both very sharp scissors and double-edged razor blades when you do your hair trimming. The razor blade is also useful for cutting the GSP.

Appropriate, careful and meticulous trimming is just as important as the spinning/stacking for the final appearance of the fly. When you trim, always trim the bottom flat first, regardless whether it's a popper or diver, and make sure it's perfectly perpendicular to the hook bend. Then, looking at the fly from the bottom, trim the sides to form the overall outline of the fly. These initial cuts on the bottom and sides will then be your orientation and reference points for trimming the rest of the fly.

Hair that has been trimmed off cannot be replaced -- take your time and be very mindful of the angle of the scissor blades or razor blade as you make each cut.

Have fun with it! Most who've spent time doing this know that tying basic deer hair poppers and divers is really not difficult and you will get better quickly with just a little time and practice.

Thanx Hair Staker, great tips.

Tips or tricks?

Just my $.02.

Anyone else have an opinion on this? I took a class at my local fly shop and was told to use a bare hook when spinning, I'm so confused. I have been getting some nice tight deer hair with it :dunno:

Chucking Fluff

I just finished my deer hair spinning class, on the first night we were told to spin on bare hook only. The next two classes we were told to lay down thread first and on one fly we even built a platform with thread and mono to spin half colors top and bottom.

I'd say it is anybody's guess. LOL!

Chucking Fluff

I just finished my deer hair spinning class, on the first night we were told to spin on bare hook only. The next two classes we were told to lay down thread first and on one fly we even built a platform with thread and mono to spin half colors top and bottom.

I'd say it is anybody's guess. LOL!

If you're talking about one color on top and another on the bottom, you must be referring to stacking rather than spinning. Spinning is where you spin a clump of hair so that it evenly distributes all the way around the hook (which is why you can't achieve different colors on top and bottom through spinning alone).

Anyway, I prefer to spin on a bare hook because (i) it is easier to do so since a bare hook is more slippery and (ii) I haven't particularly experienced any problems with the bottom/head/whatever not being stable and sliding around the hook later. I mean, I have noticed it to some degree but not enough for me to change how I tie. I pack the crap out of each section of hair all the way up to the hook eye with multiple thread wraps and half-hitches in between so I shouldn't expect a lot of movement later. Even less if you're one of those that also likes to add a touch of superglue after each section.

That said, if you prefer to work with really big bundles of hair, I could see where you might have a stability problem later on. In that case, a thread base is probably advisable, although I personally don't spin really big bundles at a time so, again, I don't lay down a thread base. I don't think there's a right or wrong here, mostly preference, as you noted. I think the tradeoff involved here is ease of spinning vs. stability, along with the recognition there are other factors that may affect stability as well -- i.e., how securely you wrap, tie off, pack, and perhaps glue each section of hair.

-- Mike

Tips or tricks?

Just my $.02.

Anyone else have an opinion on this? I took a class at my local fly shop and was told to use a bare hook when spinning, I'm so confused. I have been getting some nice tight deer hair with it :dunno:

I ONLY spin a bare shank. I haven't posted any pictures of my deer hair stuff cause I can't trim to save my you know what. I also us a different method than what others likely have. If you use good thread tension and make a couple tight wraps on the hook before you move on the the next bunch your hair should not spin. But I don't feel hair spins well over a thread base.

My question to the guys that spin on bare hook, how many flies have you tied by using this method? Second question would be , when you tie a standard fly, do you apply a thread base B4 you tie in your materials? A fly in general , will be of better quality and more durable.

Hairstacker didn't get his name from tying yarn flies,And I feel between him and rockworm they are probably the most knowledgeable guys on the forum when it comes to proper and proven techniques.

Having made these statements I guess if you find it easier to tie on bare or not, I say if it works for you go for it!

I feel that a thread foundation makes for a better fly. Dave Whitlock, a well known deer hair guy tied in the beginning on a bare hook and made the statement years later that that was the wrong approach and since then always throws down a thread base. I will also say that most "deer hair guy's" use a thread base. I can tell you that a fly tied with thread base followed by a drop of cement after each section tied is going to be a far more durable fly. My advice , when done fishing with it, don't put it away "wet"