Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Brodheadscreek

My First Spey Fly

I have to say I blame Rocky for this new addiction! My bench is over flowing with goodies and it got the best of me today so I decided to give it a shot and this is what I came up with hope you all like it. :headbang:

IMGP6857.jpg

IMGP6856.jpg

I think it's a lovely fly. The JC eye seems oddly angled to me though. Were you trying to create a reveal for that gorgeous body work?

Very well tied !! Really nice colour flow and good choice of materials !! Those wings are set beautifully .

Although I'm not a fan of JC eyes on full bronze mallard wings ... they actually blend nicely with this fly .

David , sometimes in the discretion of the tyer , down angled JC eyes are often used . A common practice on most Dee style flies .

Mike

Thanks... I don't see it that often, especially at this much of an angle, but I am not as familiar with Dee flies as I should be. They are pretty new to me. Is it common with spey flies? I suppose more so than I realize... I have never lived anywhere that I saw them commonly.

David , google the "Dunt" or "Akroyd" dee fly to see this style of JC eyes . The angle or placement of the eyes , is up to the tyer . Sometimes I go up and sometimes down ... I really think it's all about how I'm feeling at the time :rolleyes: or what looks best at that moment for me .

Mike

David , google the "Dunt" or "Akroyd" dee fly to see this style of JC eyes . The angle or placement of the eyes , is up to the tyer . Sometimes I go up and sometimes down ... I really think it's all about how I'm feeling at the time :rolleyes: or what looks best at that moment for me .

Mike

Thank you for the information! :thumbup: I appreciate it!

:bugeyes: :bugeyes: :bugeyes: I mite add that is 1 SICCCCCCCCCCK!!!!!!! Spey It ROCCCCKS my world thinking of swinging that FISH ON

Rocky