Fly Tying
AF_Tier

Hen Hackle Help

I'm tying up a batch of smallmouth flies, and one of the patterns I'll be using is:

Soft Hackle Bi-Bugger

I'm stuck on what hen hackle to buy. I went to J. Stockard and looked at the Whiting Hen Capes and Saddles, but I want to make sure that, before I purchase, these are going to be the size I need for palmering hackle on fat, size 2-8 bass flies.

Do these fit the bill?

Whiting Hen Saddle

(I chose the Saddle rather than the Cape because the Saddle comes in a few more colors)

Frank

The originator of this pattern specifically calls for hen neck. (He even warns us not to substutute!) He probably knows something you or I don't since I, too, would probably try hen saddle first. Let us know how it works out.

That's what I thought: go for the hen necks, per the author.

The only thing that held me back is that I was under the impression that neck hackle is for smaller flies than what I'm tying. Is that incorrect?

That's what I thought: go for the hen necks, per the author.

The only thing that held me back is that I was under the impression that neck hackle is for smaller flies than what I'm tying. Is that incorrect?

Yes and no. I used hen necks for Matukas in the 6ish range. I use saddle for a lot and it's not that small, it shuld serve you well for this pattern!