Fly Tying

I've been sick all week, but finally had the energy to sit at the vise today and design the fly I'll use for the swap. It's a NanoCrayfish, using some Whiting spey Chick-a-bou saddle feathers, some pine squirrel, and some shrimp ultra eyes. It has a little bit of Hareline dark rainbow scud dub for the mouth, some crystal chenille, and copper brown swiss straw ribbed with copper wire and tiny dumbell eyes below the jig bend (I increased the bend in a bent nymph hook) tied with brown thread. It likes to sit claws and eyes up like a defensive crayfish.

NanoCrayfish1.jpg

NanoCrayfish2.jpg

NanoCrayfish3.jpg

Hey I like those, nice :)

I am still deciding on my fly. I am considering a sort of thing I came up with, a Marabou & Latex job. But I am still searching the DB for ideas :dunno:

David

Those are really great tys! They almost seem like a comedic duo from some cartoon. The pics really made them come alive in my head.

Jan

A good carp pattern with which I caught my first carp last summer was a buck tail hair inch worm. I tied almost like the body of an extended mayfly. I weighted some and some I kept unweighted with nice hollow bucktail. I put a bit of pink yarn on top to see it as it descended in this mild plunge pool where the carp hang out in low summer. I found that the weighted ones, but didnt get any carp on topwater.

I tied up about 20 mulberry flys tonight and am ready for your addy. that was the first time I tied an entire swap in one sitting. They are fairly simple, but I tied them watching the tube and they just seemed to be done without any thinking.

Thanks! It was fun putting the idea together.

Godzillas are ready to make the Atlantic crossing, need an addy ;)

Should I send them to Jan directly, or make use of Davids offer and route the flies via him?

J.

It was a very generous offer from David, but I don't really mind doing the international thing :) So you can just send the bugs to me, I'll get an addy to you shortly.

Mine are ready tonight. Could you PM me your address?

Thanks!

David <><