Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
DevinKaradeema

My first flies

They are all good looking fish catchers. Do you have any particular patterns you are trying to imitate? I only ask because you have some pics of flys that look like many current patterns that exist but are lacking a bit in execution. I'd say take a quick look at what flies you want to tie and then search the data base here for that imitation. Give that imitation a few go's and then post a pic. I'm sure you'll find a huge amount of replies that will critique that fly and progress your tying experience.

Those are some great looking first ties! If that's where you started, you will do very well. And I'd be glad to fish any of those, and they would take fish.

Welcome to the forum!

I have to ask, did you use a vise?

Here's how I reason you did not:

1 - used sewing thread. If you had a vise, you'd probably have fly tying thread

2 - no vise pictured in multiple photos

3 - first fly has hardly any exposed hook to hold in a vise

Nice work, but I'd love to hear how you held the hook. Some people do tie flies in hand, but personally I wish I had written down or photographed how I tied my first ones, because now i can't remember. i think i had some sort of clamp somehow attached to the table. I would love to see a picture now (15 years later) of how i accomplished it. wish i had my first few flies too.

If you tied these in hand, without a vise or bobbin, then treat yourself to a few tools and see how much easier it can be.

Keep up the great work!

I like those flies! They have a cool "rustic" look to them. I'll bet the fish like them, too. :thumbsup:

1. fly tying tread is not a necessity when using a fly tying vise

2. a fly tying vise is not necessary to photograph flies

3. there appears to be enough hook to be held by a vise

Great first effort :headbang: Mine didn't look so good, just glad there is no photographic evidence.

I'd be willing to bet they catch plenty of fish, let us know how they do :thumbsup:

I have to ask, did you use a vise?

Here's how I reason you did not:

1 - used sewing thread. If you had a vise, you'd probably have fly tying thread

2 - no vise pictured in multiple photos

3 - first fly has hardly any exposed hook to hold in a vise

Nice work, but I'd love to hear how you held the hook. Some people do tie flies in hand, but personally I wish I had written down or photographed how I tied my first ones, because now i can't remember. i think i had some sort of clamp somehow attached to the table. I would love to see a picture now (15 years later) of how i accomplished it. wish i had my first few flies too.

If you tied these in hand, without a vise or bobbin, then treat yourself to a few tools and see how much easier it can be.

Keep up the great work!

well boss i used needlenose vice grips haha no bobbin either

Good looking group on flies. I wish I had photographed my first ones. Are you going to get some fly tying materials?

Oh yes im going out as soon as i can to get everything vice, thread, floss, silk lines, well the whole dang store to keep it simple :)

I Just got back from a 3 day fishing fix, got my flies wet, my boots full of water, and now the car has a fishy victory smell to it the only that didn't get one was the green one. (didn't expect it to.. i tied that for bluegill when the bass fry are out). the worm (tan and brown) caught me a 24in brown four feet from me :bugeyes: !!! sadly my camera is dead so no pictures for a wile :unsure:

There's no turning back now is there?

oh no no no its relaxing to tie and fish, and with working my own hours, its all i can do to keep my boredom at bay. B)