Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
c-denby

Whats wrong with these tail feathers?

I was given these Ringneck pheasant tail feather pairs. I was given a set of each yellow, green

and brown.. Well the brown pair looks great But the yellow and green pairs have some discolouration and kinda look nasty. Is this normal and just a bad quality? Or did something cause this?

thanks

post-25351-1267656933_thumb.jpg

post-25351-1267656952_thumb.jpg

post-25351-1267656945_thumb.jpg

post-25351-1267656952_thumb.jpg

post-25351-1267656921_thumb.jpg

post-25351-1267657232_thumb.jpg

those are from the sides of the tail, not the two or four most center feathers. From the pics, they look OK to me...

Are the barbs brittle? Sometimes, old feathers get brittle if exposed to too much sunlight. At the base of a feather, grab a small bunch and pull. If the barbs break instead of pulling from the stem, you may have an issue. The pictures are a little blurry but they look fine.

Rob

ok so they just naturally have discoloration like this on the sides of the feathers? I've never used this type of feather before so I was sure what they are supposed to look like.

thanks guys

Also.. NOT brittle at all.. They feel like a normal fresh feather but just have discoloration on some edges and the yellow ones almost look like they were bleached on the left edge but may just have been that way when they were dyed and it just came out looking this way..

thanks

The sides of a pheasant feather that have the "loose" barbs with the discoloration are the best part. Those sections make great tails and legs because the fan out when tied. The tight side have a tendency to keep the barbs together and do not work as well.

I like the yellow ones. Good luck.

Rob

Ok great to know.. thanks RSTOUT. I will have to try tying with these tails then.. I've never really used any large tails for tying. Other than small hackles and marabou and such.

C'mon guys. Are we are being critical here? We have a newby who has asked our advise. So use your peepers.

It's true that the ends of the fibers along the one side of the feather have a different texture and colouration- Differences which will persist after dying. But, unless my eyes are completely gone, at least one, and perhaps all of these "pairs" actually consist of "same-sided" feathers (ie right/right or left/left as opposed to left/right.)

Tell me I'm wrong and I'll make an appointment with my optometrist.

I actually thought that same thing also.. All Right/right or Left/left. maybe thats why our supplier just gave them to me? hmmmm...

I was given these Ringneck pheasant tail feather pairs. I was given a set of each yellow, green

and brown.. Well the brown pair looks great But the yellow and green pairs have some discolouration and kinda look nasty. Is this normal and just a bad quality? Or did something cause this?

If you are tying small nymphs, I doubt you will notice anything. You will be wrapping them like you do hackle and what you end up seeing are the fibers.

If they were cheap, there was probably a reason they were cheap, but pheasant tails usually arn't very expensive to begin with. In areas that they are hunted, you can usually find someone who can collect them for you.

Carl

Cart Z- They were given to me by a sales rep that works for one of our suppliers at the tackle shop I work at. He said that they were extras that weren't supposed to be in a shipment and didn't know what else to do with them.

On a side note, They only sell for $3.00 here anyways.

C'mon guys. Are we are being critical here? We have a newby who has asked our advise. So use your peepers.

It's true that the ends of the fibers along the one side of the feather have a different texture and colouration- Differences which will persist after dying. But, unless my eyes are completely gone, at least one, and perhaps all of these "pairs" actually consist of "same-sided" feathers (ie right/right or left/left as opposed to left/right.)

Tell me I'm wrong and I'll make an appointment with my optometrist.

I don't recall there being a huge demand for matched pairs of pheasant tail. ?? I suppose it's always best to have a left/right "pair" of any feathers. I saw it right away too, but didn't think it mattered, like it would with duck quills or turkey quills for wet fly wings.

I agree, I have never recalled a pattern that asks for matched pairs of pheasant tail fibers. They look perfectly fine to me. The discoloration is desirable for teeny nymphs and leeches.