Fly Tying

2009 FTOTY Winners

congrats all! makes me wish i did it.... was a little behind this year but i will do it next year!

WOW Great flies Every one I am especially impressed with the first place rookie of the year that is some serious tying for you first year in to fly tying Great job!!!!

tyrite

Thank you guys for the votes. There were some exceptional flies this year and I personally liked the mantis. Major kudos to Will for the outstanding job he does on these contests, but more importantly is the fly tying community/family that he has spawned. Again Will, I applaud you for your efforts.

And of course Great flies guys !!!!

Rockwell hammond, Jr

Dr. Rock

Thank you guys for the votes. There were some exceptional flies this year and I personally liked the mantis. Major kudos to Will for the outstanding job he does on these contests, but more importantly is the fly tying community/family that he has spawned. Again Will, I applaud you for your efforts.

Rockwell hammond, Jr

Dr. Rock

Dr. Rock, nice flies indeed! Since you've won your second consecutive grand prize, I'd like to encourage you to become more of an active member here and share your techniques and expertise. I know life gets in the way, but seeing as how you appreciate the community Will has developed here, I know many tiers here could benefit from from you sharing your tips. Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing more soon!

Rockwell hammond, Jr

Dr. Rock

Dr. Rock, nice flies indeed! Since you've won your second consecutive grand prize, I'd like to encourage you to become more of an active member here and share your techniques and expertise. I know life gets in the way, but seeing as how you appreciate the community Will has developed here, I know many tiers here could benefit from from you sharing your tips. Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing more soon!

Dart,

Yes you are right. i will post more in the future most likely on classic forum. Life has been getting in the way and have been devoting a lot of time to work, some family medical issues, and to my fly tying club. The Northwest Atlantic Salmon Fly Guild. Our club has increased to 50 members and I'm trying to do the best I can with them. Several of the members from the Salmon fly forum have come and stayed with me and know what I mean. it has been great. But again you are right and I'll do my best.

By the way, to give credit where credit is do, Edwin Rist won the contest for 2008 with his incredible fly and I was fortunate to win in 2007.

Thank you so much for your comments

Rocky

Congratulations to all the winners! I haven't entered for several years, and it seems that the entries get better every year. Also thank you Will for your work in organizing the contest. :headbang:

Caleb

Dart,

Yes you are right. i will post more in the future most likely on classic forum. Life has been getting in the way and have been devoting a lot of time to work, some family medical issues, and to my fly tying club. The Northwest Atlantic Salmon Fly Guild. Our club has increased to 50 members and I'm trying to do the best I can with them. Several of the members from the Salmon fly forum have come and stayed with me and know what I mean. it has been great. But again you are right and I'll do my best.

By the way, to give credit where credit is do, Edwin Rist won the contest for 2008 with his incredible fly and I was fortunate to win in 2007.

Thank you so much for your comments

Rocky

I completely understand how things get in the way. I haven't logged into the Classic forum in a while... I used to frequent it, but then I got caught up tying "fishing flies" for our bluegill trips. That's great that you guys are up to 50 members! I don't know that there are 50 fly fishermen total in Alabama, so it's hard to find a group to tie with. Keep on tyin' and I'll keep on votin''! Congrats again.

Edit: Speaking of being busy... I haven't even read my latest edition of Hatches yet... I see you had an article in there: http://hatchesmagazine.com/blogs/Hatches/2...tm_content=post. I'm going to soak it in now!

Congratulations to all the winners! Congrat's to the overall winner, Dr. Rock, great looking flies!!

Nice to see New Brunswick representing there Lloyd (drops) Way to go!!

Just seeing this now, didn't think it had been announced, but see that it had some time ago and that I placed as well, thanks to those who voted for my fly and thanks to Will for putting on another great FTOTY contest this year!

I remember entering my first FTOTY contest in 2004 and boy, what an eye opener back then, I worked hard for a year on my flies and got salmon rookie of the year in 2005, and in 2006 placed a 3rd, and it really pushed me to improve my tying, and that's what it's all about, pushing your limits and trying to better your tying from year to year. I was unable to enter in 2007 and 2008, but I made the deadline for 2009 thankfully and it paid off, thanks again to those that voted.

All the flies are beautifully done and hope to see more next year!!

All the best,

Damian.