Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
c-denby

what is Badger Hackle?

I know I know.. Seems like a simple answer that I should KNOW.. However after reading a few fly recipes that I would enjoy trying and not really being able to see what it is they are refering to as badger hackle, It has be confused.

Simple question- Is it a cock hackle that is coloured to look like badger? OR is it Badger hair that has been hackled??

Thanks everyone for your patience and helpful tips in the past. I'm hoping to figure this one out so I can try some of these flies. Now I did try tying one with just a white cock hackle and it just didnt look right.

Thanks

Chris

It is a Rooster natural pattern. It is a silverish color with a black center, almost like an Uh-Oh Oreo. Really cooly looking stuff.

Awesome, Thanks very much.. I'll have to order some.. What type package would give me the longest barbs for spey and tube flies? like hen or rooster and Saddle, cape, strung,etc..?

Thanks again

Chris

Straight from Eric leiser's classic Fly Tying Materials,p 97:

"BADGER Any neck in shades of white to dark cream having a black center stripe throughout all the hackles on the cape."

As an afterthought I have noticed some dun badgers finding their way through in recent days....Eric's book was copyright 1973. There are also golden badgers as well....the nice thing about this color is it gives a nice dark look to the the thorax portion of the fly....the silver badger hackle is a must for the killing White Wulff.

Gee, I don't know anything about spey flies so I can't field that question. For the longest barbs, you'd probably go with a hen but unfortunatly, Badger is a male dominate gene so it's unavailable in anything hen. May I reccomend a Brahma hen hackle. Not exactly Silver Badger but it's the closest thing you'll get.

I just had some hen capes in silver badger come through last week. They are available but, hard to get. Not sure they would be big enough for you if you are doing spey stuff. What size spey are you doing, the hen might be big enough for the smaller flies. The Whiting (red label) hen saddles are great for dry fly wings and nymph legs, or wet fly hackle.