Fly Tying
FlorentineJohn

Polar Bear substitute

tHi,

At the Bear's Den Show a few weeks ago (my first time, but how could I not have gone before?) I met Rich Murphy, author of "Fly Fishing for Striped Bass". A lot of the patterns he uses use polar bear fur. As I'm sure you know, it is exhorbitantly expensive material, not to mention the fact that it may soon be listed on the Endangered Species Act. So, here's my question: what's the next best thing? If you were to mention both a synthetic and a natural substitute, what would you list? ...And which one do you prefer?

Thanks!

There are a number of materials that are used as substitute for polar bear fur (yak hair, bucktail, kid goat, icelandic sheep, and skunk tail). There are also a number of synthetic materials, but I'm not crazy about them. My favorite substitute is skunk tail. It is the closest material I have found to the natural translucence and shine of polar bear hair. It also has nice long fibers, which would work well for salt water applications.

Here is a link showing a comparison of skunk and polar bear hair.

Skunk and Polar Bear Hair Photos

Nice information on the skunk compared to polar bear Ray. Thanks for the comparison work.

As much maligned as the skunk is, people forget it is a close relative of the mink. If skunks sprayed rosewater, ladies would line up to wear black and white striped stoles.