adams4.jpg

hook: dry fly

thread: black

tail: golden pheasant tippets

body: gray wool yarn

wing: grizzly hackle tips

hackle: 1 brown and 1 grizzly

thanks for looking

That looks like a pretty good match. I wish the editor of that article would have shown the angles you did!

That looks like a pretty good match. I wish the editor of that article would have shown the angles you did!

You Know I don't think that fly would even Float....Hackle is to short tail is too week you no I think this thing would drag the bottom like a nymph.....

FlySlinger

You Know I don't think that fly would even Float....Hackle is to short tail is too week you no I think this thing would drag the bottom like a nymph.....

FlySlinger

Yeah, all those old fools like Halladay, the folks who developed all this crap way back in the dark ages, they didn't know what the hell they were doing. No way that would work at all.

<_< :rolleyes:

fercryinoutloud.

FlySlinger

Yeah, all those old fools like Halladay, the folks who developed all this crap way back in the dark ages, they didn't know what the hell they were doing. No way that would work at all.

<_< :rolleyes:

fercryinoutloud.

You guys r kidding right!I mean yeah,the tail may be a little week for fishing.But come on,That fly belongs in a shadow box IMHO.Nice work Flytire.

shane

That looks good! But the wings are unnecessary ;)

not if you are tying a replica as i have done

Neat fly. I especially like how you dubbed the body ;)

its wool yarn not dubbing

Ok... so it occurs to me, and probably to you too, that it would be interesting to tie a few up this way, and see how they perform on the home waters. It wouldn't be a whole lot of trouble, and it might yield some surprising results. Way back when, I remember seeing a fly tied "bunny ear" style that looked peculiar to me, but this guy I met insisted that it made it work way better.

Just food for thought.

I'd be interesting in hearing results of this. Maybe ask a few fish their opinions on this compared to the other versions, with and without wings.

I think the wings on this are a nice idea. I've often wondered how well a fish sees wings on the top of a dry, when the wings are hidden in the hackle. These wings are right out there as is to say "here fishy fishy, i'm a tasty winged bug, eat me!" I think this might be a nice approach.

I like it.

A few comments/questions, though.

Were the wings really in front of the hackle?

I've seen other "original" versions where the wings were completely spent -- like a spinner. Also I believe hackle tips were broader "back-in-the-day" but

who knows, may Halladay sought out skinny ones. Also, I expect the hackle would have been a bit longer -- one and a half to two times the gape was the norm back then, but again, maybe not in the Midwest.

I'd have been tempted to add a few more piece of GP tippet - glad you didn't.

i tied it as "appears" in the pamphlet which doesnt show more views so i assumed the wings are tied if front of the hackle. i also tied it with the wings splayed as shown in the pamphlet.

i'd like to see more folks try tying this adams shown in the pamphlet to see the difference of interpretation from tyer to tyer.

i'd like to see more folks try tying this adams shown in the pamphlet to see the difference of interpretation from tyer to tyer.

I hope to find time to do one and photograph it this weekend, if I can find some gray yarn.