Fly Tying
blizz79

Rotary Vise Pros and Cons

I was at a shop over the weekend looking at vises. I was talking to the guy in the shop about rotary and non rotary vises. His advise was that if you have not been tying on a rotary vise and do not need the rotary function, why switch to a rotary.

Just wonering what kind of in put you all had on the topic. Is the rotary option somthing I will wish i had after my skills improve? The non rotary vises were more comfortable to tie on. more room for my gorilla hands.

Was looking at the dyna kings's and the HMH's.

Don't have any experience with the two specific brands, but I would say if you want to grow in your skills, then get a vice that will allow you to do so - buy a rotary. Even if I'm not using the rotary to wrap materials, I often give it a bit of a twist to get a better view, apply head cement to the back or bottom of the head, or just put the fly in a better position for what I am trying to do.

The advice you were given makes me laugh a little. "If you haven't been using the rotary function, you don't need it." But if you don't currently have a rotary (I'm assuming since you are looking to move up), then not using the rotary function isn't because you don't need it.

Go with the rotary. I don't often have my truck in 4-wheel drive, but I'm sure glad I have it when I need it.

Deeky

I think the rotary function makes tying a lot easier. Any side can be 'up', so you're never trying to hold anything on the side while you tie...

I bought a Peak and love it.

I rarely use the rotary function to wrap materials. Some of this is due to me not keeping the bobbin rest attached, so when I wrap, my thread also winds around the hook shank. I use it ALL THE TIME to check the other sides of the fly. I find it extremely useful and plan to use a rotary from now on.

I agree with Deeky. While it might be true that if you have no knowledge or experience about something, you can't miss it. It doesn't follow that just because you haven't had something it might not be beneficial... particularly in this instance.

Dyna-King and HMH are both rotary. They're not TRUE rotary where it keeps the hook on a horizontal plane, but they do rotate. I have experience with both companies, namely Dyna-King, and have found them to be extremely high quality and easily two of the best. If you go with an HMH, check the o-ring inside the chasis to make sure it didn't dry rot. If it has, go to a Home Depot or Lowes and buy a new one for a couple pennies. Other than that, you'll be really happy with both.

Dyna-King and HMH are both rotary. They're not TRUE rotary where it keeps the hook on a horizontal plane, but they do rotate.

I have to disagree. That statement is way to general to correct. Dyna-King does off true rotary vises, but not all Dyna-Kings are true rotary. HMH, I believe is a little different, in the fact that they have an angle adjustment screw, which allows them to be moved to become closer to true rotary. Day5 has a HMH and I think his is set this way.

You have to look at each VISE, not each BRAND, to determine it's true rotaryness (stupid spell check doesn't like my made up word!)

"If you haven't been using the rotary function, you don't need it."

"If you haven't been using a triple bypass, you don't need it."

"If you haven't been using a liver transplant, you don't need it."

"If you haven't been using CPR, you don't need it."

i'll stop now.

Day5 has a HMH and I think his is set this way.

Sure he has an HMH, but I bet if he had it to do all over again, he'd probably recommend getting a Nor-Vise. *ducks for cover!*

Dyna-King and HMH are both rotary. They're not TRUE rotary where it keeps the hook on a horizontal plane, but they do rotate.

I have to disagree. That statement is way to general to correct. Dyna-King does off true rotary vises, but not all Dyna-Kings are true rotary. HMH, I believe is a little different, in the fact that they have an angle adjustment screw, which allows them to be moved to become closer to true rotary. Day5 has a HMH and I think his is set this way.

You have to look at each VISE, not each BRAND, to determine it's true rotaryness (stupid spell check doesn't like my made up word!)

"If you haven't been using the rotary function, you don't need it."

"If you haven't been using a triple bypass, you don't need it."

"If you haven't been using a liver transplant, you don't need it."

"If you haven't been using CPR, you don't need it."

i'll stop now.

Well if you want to get technical you're right. But you can't market a Dyna-King Supreme as a true rotary vise just as much as you can't market a Tahoe as a Prius - they both drive but they're capable of different things.

go to the local fly shops in silverthorne and sit down with a few vises and tie some flies.

then make your decision on which one suits your style of fly tying.

dont base your decision base on biased opinions. what i like you may not.

only you can tie a fly better. not the vise.

ive owned a renzetti traveller since it first came out and find i dont use the rotary function much anymore.

Here is my view on this. First of all I'm 6'8" tall and have good sized hands. I learn on a traditional vise and tied on one for years. Then I invested in a Renzitti traveler vise, because every said I had to tie on a true rotary vise. I had had troubles tying with the vise, big hands an traveler vise do not go hand in hand. You might be able to learn to deal with it, I couldn't. I went back to a traditional style vise. Now there are a couple of rotary vise that might work with bigger hands based on there design, J vise is one and a LAW vise is the other.

carlp

I have tied on both non-rotary and rotary vices and I am not going back ;)

I rarely use the vice in full rotation mode - mostly when tying quill bodies or ribbing - but the opportunity to slightly adjust the plane is invaluable.

Consider the vice as a capital investment that you will amortize over many years and many thousands of flies, and spend accordingly :)

J.

PS: I second the opinion that Renzetti Traveller is not for the big guys; I tried it once at my friends place and I suffered badly. It is just sooo tiny! Fortunately it is not the only rotary vice out there...

I think a true rotary vise - where the shank of the hook remains horizontal as you rotate the vise - makes it easier to check flies for balance/symmetry. I also use the rotary function to wrap hackle. Does one HAVE to have a rotary vise? No. But they do offer some conveniences.

Don't have any experience with the two specific brands, but I would say if you want to grow in your skills, then get a vice that will allow you to do so - buy a rotary. Even if I'm not using the rotary to wrap materials, I often give it a bit of a twist to get a better view, apply head cement to the back or bottom of the head, or just put the fly in a better position for what I am trying to do.

The advice you were given makes me laugh a little. "If you haven't been using the rotary function, you don't need it." But if you don't currently have a rotary (I'm assuming since you are looking to move up), then not using the rotary function isn't because you don't need it.

Go with the rotary. I don't often have my truck in 4-wheel drive, but I'm sure glad I have it when I need it.

Deeky

Follow his advise :headbang:

I tied on a non-rotary for a year before upgrading to my Anvil Apex. I didn't know what I was missing! As Jindra said, rotary is invaluable to my tying.

Thanks for all input. Keep it coming! Giving me lots to think about. :dunno: Being a musician, I find researching a new vise is alot like getting a new instrument. You can make do with what you got, but when you finaly spring for the new instrument it is up to what works for you.