Fly Tying

McFlyFoam vs Egg Yarn

Which do you prefer for making egg patterns  

203 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I like the McFly foam.......but I still use glow-bug material--mostly because I have so much of it stashed in my desk.....

I have used the McFly foam to make heads on sculpin patterns........I tied one for river smallies and glued some honker eyes on each side of the head........looked pretty good..........

The pom-poms are not bad.........7mm works really good.........have even caught fish on the 5mm.........I have used the 10mm, but is just a little too big

I tie a good amount of eggs each year..........steelhead and salmon..........and even for trouties..........I use a mix of the above mentioned, estaz and glue...........the good thing with the mcfly foam over the glow-bug stuff was that I could tie very small eggs with little problems............and once you get the technique down.......you can really rip out the McFly Foam eggs.............you turn into an egg making machine........no piles of inch long pieces to deal with........stuff the tube.......and go from there...........

although..........I don't think a fish prefers one over the other.......at least in the great lakes area: Erie.....if it looks like an egg......it will get eaten

Most of the time I use the yarn, only because I have alot of it. I have started to use the foam and quickly becoming a fan of it. I use it when making my blood dot patterns.

i cant say i have used mcfly foam.

i can say i have only tied a half dozen eggs with yarn, didn't have a problem.

all nice and round, i don't find it to be a difficult fly.

Hey guys, thought I'd throw in my thoughts here...

Fly foam is an easy way to tie a round egg. Also makes a nice core for a nuke egg.

Pompoms I really didn't like but would work in a pinch and you can get a bunch of bright colors for $1

I prefer yarn because of it's translucent properties, and the fish agree.

I like yarn only because it sinks better. I have found that the hot glue egg looks the nicest as it's perfectly round when done, but they don't sink very fast either.