Fly Tying
c-denby

Storing long feathers like Lady Amherst, Ringneck, Rhea, Ostrich, etc?

ok I need a few opinions here. I have heard the following things when it comes to storing your large feathers like Rhea plumes, Ostrich plumes, Lady Amherst Tail, Ringneck tails, peacock tails, golden pheasant tails, ETC.. basically anything that is longer than 12"

Well originally I was told you should store them all in a long flat container like an underbed tote box. So thats what I have had them in. However I'm not building a new entire fly tying/ lure making room and I wont have enough space to store those large long box's anywhere convenient.

SO then I was told that it is fine to just have them all standing vertical in a jar or vase on your desk/table. And other than dust they are fine like that.

Now yesterday I was talking to a fly shop owner about how I have them stored and he had a bit of a melt down and said that they MUST MUST MUST be stored in the original long bags they came in and HUNG on a wall so they stay straight.

Let me know what your opinion is, as I'm just curious if leaving them in a jar standing vertical will cause them to curl and become useless for flies when you want a nice straight barb.

CHris

I am also interested in hearing what others have to say on this topic. I think the answer depends, in part, on what you use the feathers for; whether you use slips for wings, or fibers for horns, antennae, or bodies. I would like to leave these beautiful feathers standing in jars on my workbench (like you see in photos of famous tyers like Jorgensen...) But since I am paranoid about exposure to feather-eating bugs, I usually rebag mine in 18" long Zip-Loc bags and store them, flat on edge, in a plastic box. When the feathers are longer than my bags I usually cut the feather in half. BTW these long feathers are often damaged or "rumpled" in transit but can be rejuvenated by gentle steaming.

SO then I was told that it is fine to just have them all standing vertical in a jar or vase on your desk/table. And other than dust they are fine like that.

CHris

if we believe all of the :bs: fly shop owners tell us we're all in trouble. i have been storing my long feathers in a vase for over 25 years and nothing has happened to them yet! just shake off a little dust, theyll be fine!

Let me know what your opinion is, as I'm just curious if leaving them in a jar standing vertical will cause them to curl and become useless for flies when you want a nice straight barb.

CHris

if they curl, so what! you are going to wrap them around a hook shank! plus, only the center stem might curl a bit. its the fibers to worry about, not the center stem!

when it comes to capes and saddle hackle, thats different. i keep them in the original plastic baggie and lay them flat in one of those plastic under the bed boxes you described above.

OK thanks Flytire.. I think i'm just going to stick with the jar that I have sitting on my desk.. It just seems to be the most simple, as they are right there in front of me. Besides I have a hot pot for steaming materials at the end of the table anyways, So if need be I can just steam a feather and they will be like new again.

Thanks

Chris

I prefer to store plumes of ostrich, rhea, etc. flat as you are doing. For pheasant tails which do not lie out flat I prefer to use large diameter mailing tubes with vinyl end caps. You know the clear tubes with the red end caps. You can purchase the tubing and caps very inexpensively and cut them to any desired length with heavy scissors from, for example, http://www.mcmaster.com/#shipping-tubes/=6691j9. Look about 1/2 way down the page.

Might be unnecessary and "overkill", but I store all my feathers/materials flat, inside labeled airtight

Sterilite containers away from dust/air/pests/sunlight. Everything is in its own

Ziplock baggy, as well. I like Halcyon's method of storing pheasant tails...might

have to pick me up some mailing tubes.

Mike

I have my "rainy day store" of feathers stocked in ziplock bags in boxes from Ikea (very convenient, transparent so you can see whats inside and easily stackable) in my tying cupboard.

However, I like to keep a small supply at hand in a vase on my tying desk. Just about a feather each of Peacock, pheasant tail natural, black and olive, some Heron and Owl. Nothing fancy, but I feel it gives a nice aura to the place. A visitor needs just a glance and he knows that a fly tyer lives here :yahoo:

J.

If you don't want to order up tubing go to a sports card shop. They have tubes for storing collectable baseball bats that are resonably priced if you only need one or two.

I use my storage tubes, that I make. They are 19 inches long, and I can pack a ton of rhea in one, ton of pheasant tail in one, ostrich, etc.

john