Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sniksoh

early gills?

today the ice on one of my favorite farm ponds has dissapeared and im thinkin about getting out tomorow and trying to catch some gills. probably a litlle early but im so anxiouse i gotta try it. any suggestions on technique and flies?

Use a size 10 or 8 and cast near any ice overhang. Don't be suprised if you get a bass either! Trick is to cast onto any remaining ice and then drag it into the water and that ought to do it. I recommend anything black, brown or olive - a mini bugger will do you. I can't wait to go gill fishing this spring I'm just as anxious as you are. But lakes and ponds in Illinois like to take their sweet ass time melting even with 40-50 degree weather :wallbash:

fish deep and slow. Work different levels of the water column until you bust one or two. It's not at all impossible to bust them right after ice out. If you can get a few consistant days of sun, they will start to move closer to the bank.

I think fishboy said it best slooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

I personally would still be looking for them in deep water next to any cover. Glass scuds any any thing olive to brown in dragon nymphs.

Are you just going to catch and release or a couple for the table??

Good luck!

Blessings,

Jeremy

Look for the inflows - places where water is flowing into the pond. It will do a couple of things that will draw in feeding fish - bring in warmer water, bring in water with higher oxygen levels, and wash fresh bits of food into the pond. Usually these are the first spots that the ice will open up on the pond.

Deeky

Look for the inflows - places where water is flowing into the pond. It will do a couple of things that will draw in feeding fish - bring in warmer water, bring in water with higher oxygen levels, and wash fresh bits of food into the pond. Usually these are the first spots that the ice will open up on the pond.

Deeky

Very good advice, Deeky.