Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Pujic

Any Action in VA?

Hey guys,

I'm heading on a business trip to Herndon, VA (about 10 mins from Wasington, DC) this Sunday for a week. I was wondering if it would be worth it to take a fly rod with me? I've been there before and know about the Potomac but is there anything else in the area worth checking out?

Any and all advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Nick

I grew up in Va.

Up where you will be try Devils Ditch.

Special regulations apply to that portion of Conway River and its major tributary, Devils Ditch, within the Rapidan Wildlife Management Area and the Shenandoah National Park. The stream contains brook trout in the upper reaches with wild brown trout scattered through the lower portions. Adult brook trout range from 7-11 inches in length; brown trout occasionally exceed 20 inches. The stream lies north of Stanardsville and can be reached by Route 615 from Graves Mill.

http://www.vaflyfish.com:8080/app/user/non...ut_map_home.jsp

Try this site. Only the purple will give a report.

I asked your question on another site and so far this is the response I have gotten.

"Devils Ditch is at least a 2 hour drive."

"Upper Potomac for smallies and the same goes for the Rappahannock or the Shenandoah"

"Shenandoah Nat Park for brookies."

Hope this stuff has helped.

Hope this is not too late but right now most of the rivers are completely blown from Jeanne that came through here last weekend. The Shenandoah River gauge is showing 13' right now and we normally fish it when it is in the 3'-5' range. The same with the Potomac. Some of the trout streams up in the Blue Ridge may be getting back down to decent levels right now. You may want to give Harry Murray a call out at his shop in Edinburgh, VA as he keeps a pretty good pulse on the trout streams out there. Normally, the smallmouth bass action is great this time of year but like I said the rivers are just blown. Disappointing for all of us. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Mark

Sign in to follow this