Fly Tying
Baiter

Rotary Vise Techniques - resources

I am looking for good web resources, videos etc that will help me transition to rotary tying. I have been tying for over 30 years and am finally getting a true rotary vise. I tie a wide variety of flies but anticipate mainly use the rotary for trout and smallmouth patterns. Hoping to learn some new tricks and be a more efficient tier.

I would like to start with stuff on the web but would happily buy a DVD if it was worthwhile.

Thanks for your help.

Dan

PS if I missed a similar thread in my searches please point me there!

The book mentioned above is about the only book solely directed to full rotary fly tying techniques. It is written by Al and Gretchen Beatty and Gretchen and her dad actually tied on full rotary vises decades ago before this type of vise was commercially available pre-made so they know what they are talking about. There are also some hints and ideas located online here at the bottom of the page under "tying notes".

Norm Norlander has some great videos on youtube as well showing some rotary techniques.

Thanks to all for the info.

The Norlander videos are good. While focused on their vice still useful methods and ideas.

The book by the Beatty's did not have great reviews on Amazon. Apparently it is fairly basic info. And since rotary is a motion subject is somewhat limited by the use of print. Would love to hear other reviews by veteran tyers.

Keep the suggestions coming.

ps I find it interesting how much time we discuss "which rotary vice" on here but don't have much to say on effective use. Maybe I am imagining there is more to it than just winding stuff more efficiently, neater and faster????

Thanks to all for the info.

The Norlander videos are good. While focused on their vice still useful methods and ideas.

The book by the Beatty's did not have great reviews on Amazon. Apparently it is fairly basic info. And since rotary is a motion subject is somewhat limited by the use of print. Would love to hear other reviews by veteran tyers.

Keep the suggestions coming.

ps I find it interesting how much time we discuss "which rotary vice" on here but don't have much to say on effective use. Maybe I am imagining there is more to it than just winding stuff more efficiently, neater

and faster.

You can find a review of the Beatty book by someone that has actually read it cover to cover and has been rotary tying since 1980's here.

Using an in line rotary vise doesn't change many of the techniques or steps in tying a fly, instead it opens up additional opportunities to create flies. If you don't have a solid founding in fly tying skills you will not be better with an in line rotary vise, you will simply create poor flies somewhat faster. :devil: If you are looking to increase the tools at your disposal for creating flies, then rotary techniques will be helpful. If you are simply looking to tie faster then one of the old 1950's motorized rotary vises powered by a sewing machine motor is a better option. And of course the ultimate speed tying is not tying at all but instead buying all your flies :unsure:

So, this brings up something I've been mulling over for quite a while -- doing a video tutorial on rotary techniques. If this is something people might benefit from, what are some of the techniques you think I should demo?

Open to ideas or suggestions...