Fly Tying
Robert M

Container for shipping flies

Great!! I just sent a altoids tin to Canada myself this week for the bugger swap...So your telling me It wont make it :wallbash: I mailed it in a yellow bubble wrap envelope :ripped:

Apparently the 2 people who have sent me nasty PMs about keeping my first ever swap (as SM) open only to the US haven't read any of these problems. Add to this that my local post office doesn't seem to know ANYTHING about international shipping (they screw up everything it seems...even in town on bills)and it may be an unfortunate but necessary precaution for me to have to always do it that way in order to avoid some real problems.

I find it BIZARRE that Canada is so far different from the US when it is basically sharing some large cities with us while other countries are more uniform to our shipping set-ups????

Apparently the 2 people who have sent me nasty PMs about keeping my first ever swap (as SM) open only to the US haven't read any of these problems. Add to this that my local post office doesn't seem to know ANYTHING about international shipping (they screw up everything it seems...even in town on bills)and it may be an unfortunate but necessary precaution for me to have to always do it that way in order to avoid some real problems.

I find it BIZARRE that Canada is so far different from the US when it is basically sharing some large cities with us while other countries are more uniform to our shipping set-ups????

Isn't that nice only US players allowed?? People just need to understand the envelope we send our flies in from Canada is what fits the slot putting any extra's like return envelope's etc increases our cost by lots. Just use the envelope we send them in to return to us just put label over the other addy! I always enclose cash for postage!

My two cents worth,

Jeremy

I agree that it is unbelievable that our two countries have difficulties dealing with a few envelopes going back and forth.

The suggestion about the empty CD case is great. I think that I will try it on the next swap.

OK, now I am confused. The swapmeister told me Altoids tins were OK to ship to Manitoba, and to include $3 or $4 U.S. for return postage, but to not use stamps. Now it appears they are not OK because of a slot. So what's the straight skinny, and what alternate container would you use to ship to Canada? Thanks, and go Pens!

Altoids will make it through the slot. It just depends on the thickness of the envelope. Its a 50/50 chance.

If its over sized I don't care about paying the extra dollar. Its not a big problem.

It'll just be a regular envelope, so it should work. I will enclose $5 for shipping. Should be sending them out within the next few days - just waiting for one of my earlier swap tins to return so I can re-use it.

If its over sized I don't care about paying the extra dollar. Its not a big problem.

That's how I feel too. After all, I am saving so much money by tying my own flies ????????

I am bringing this one back up cause I need some suggestions. Any suggestions on what to use to ship larger flies ie. saltwater, large bass bugs and poppers?

I am bringing this one back up cause I need some suggestions. Any suggestions on what to use to ship larger flies ie. saltwater, large bass bugs and poppers?

Canada issues aside, I don't know how well it worked, but I found a crystal light container fits in an envelope fairly well. A mailing tube would also work, but I don't know if you can mail a mailing tube without going to the post office.

The vcr case sounded intriguing. I had an old comuter tape (tape backup) case that I have used to store clousers, but it was a little thin to store bulkier flies.

Carl