Fly Tying
TOM PRUETT

Wooly bugger

This fly is awesome! you did a great job putting stuff on a hook! Be proud of it, and fish the hell out of it! next, post pictures of the fatties you catch with a fly that is "wrong" :hyst:

pic a simple pattern.... like a clouser. tie a doz. then tie another doz. then tie another doz. until they all look the same. then tie a woolly bugger. a doz. a doz. a doz. until they all look the same. From what i have noticed you have tied 8 flies. all different. they should all be the same pattern when you start. if you tie a bunch of one pattern then you get much better at that pattern faster and then you can expand. Remember start with very simple patterns and then move up to like dries and such!

that tail doesnt look like mariboo, but to each his own just make sure to keep it centered on the hook, try a few loose wrapsthen while holding the tail tight pull the thread tight. as for what he said about about a dubbing loop after tying in your tail make a loop about 2 to 3 times the length of the hook and tie it down by wrapping the tread around the hook at the point where you tied in the tail. im sure you have a dubbing "spinner" take the thread and tie in a less wide hackle then tread up to the bead. grab that"spinner" and put the loop on the two hooks and let it hang wile you put dubbing between the treads. I usually spin it like a top till it looks good then wrap up to the bead tie down and cut whats left of the loop off. then bring your hackle up and tie off.

usually one would use chenell for the body instead of dubbing, as for the hackle you have on now you could cheat and trim it.... or fish it dangit and tell us how that bug does :yahoo:

oh ya that hook size thing 8 6 4 2 i even saw one at the fly shop on like a 00 it way huge

And did you lead wrap the body? that will keep it on the bottom

No, the tail is marabou, it is the fine, strait tips of a plume.

Also for the hackle, it is best not to trim it----It would be better to leave it as it is rather than trim it. Trimming it cuts down on movement, making the hackle stiff, instead of movable, tapered fibers.

Good bugger, Tom. Just make sure you are tying the hackle in by the tip, to give the fly the desired taper.

i know what you are talking about when you say the clouser deceiver i believe it is really a half and half. half clouser minnow and half leftys deceiver. but like i said the clouser is an easy pattern and i really recommend starting with that pattern first then doing the half and half

IMHO, Wooly Buggers for warmwater fishing can be tied with less attention to "classic" proportions. Probably the biggest restriction is whether you can throw it. If things get too out of hand, there is too much air resistance to throw them effectively.