Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mrjim

Northern Pike streamer swap

QUOTE (Fishigan @ Oct 6 2004, 12:16 PM)
My pattern name is CONGOZOO. It's a bait fish pattern in blue, white and chartruese. A killer color combo around here.

Great stuff that Congo Hair is!! Might use some of that for my pike fly as well.

Art

Whats that a Heat-Miser wig...thats Awesome!!!

Oh I'm Mister Green Christmas I'm Mister Sun,

I'm Mister Heat-Blister, Mister one hundred and one

They call me Heat-Miser whatever I touch

Starts to Melt in my clutch...I'm too Much.

I could use the address too...just want to send them out before they wind up packed and in storage.

Back from trout fishing Taneycomo. Caught some nice fish!

I have my magnum zonker strips now so I'm all set.

I will send each of you my address in a PM tonight.

Well, I also bought a ton of that Congo Hair from Fly Tyer's Dungeon, and honestly wasn't sure what I was going to do with it at first... that is, until I sat down an hour ago and started messing around with it. I'm still tying a golden shiner imitation, but this one is made with all Congo Hair, a little flashabou accent, and one red marabou feather. This stuff actually welds together if you treat it with liquid cyanoacrylate; you can see the smoke pluming out and the result is a nice firm "meld" of material that will help prevent fouling if applied strategically. The best thing about this stuff is that I ordered a dozen colors, many of them just a tinge different than others, and this has enabled me to layer four colors that nearly blend together in the light. So I suppose my submission for this swap will be a "Congo Shiner", 6-7" long.

Kingfisher - I haven't ever seen 'Congo Hair' so I'm looking forward to seeing your fly. What colors does it come in? Does it take marking pen very well?

mrjim - I picked it up at flytyersdungeon; it was pretty cheap.

See http://www.flytyersdungeon.com/tying_materials.htm and scroll down to the bottom of the page. At $1.75 a hank (and considering how much you get), you really can't go wrong. I haven't tried coloring it yet, but will do so in the near future for some snapper bluefish patterns I'm going to tie. I'll let you know how that goes.

Here is the status of the swap:

I received flies from Mozes.

SDHflyfisher, Jlearsi67, and Fishigan had to drop out - so there are 6 of us swapping.

If you haven't mailed your flies yet, you only need to mail 6 flies. That should make it a bit easier to complete the swap if you are having trouble getting them done.

I have 2 sets of flies in (got Kingfisher's this week) - so I hope my mailbox is bulging when I get home tonight.

If you haven't sent them in yet, please try to get them in the mail. I will be sending back flies to everyone as soon as possible.

I have flies from Mozes and Sean Juan. Kingfisher - I thought I had yours but they were Sean Juan's.

I'm still waiting for 3 more sets of flies.

Got bored waiting and tied another set of bunny flies in black....the first set is white with red head. Both work very good on pike. So you will get 2 flies from me if you have sent in more than 5. Any extras - I will send back.

Anybody have any idea on how long we are to wait for the stragglers?

Jim - Sorry for the delay; had a MAJOR snafu with the postal service. They temporarily lost eight packages I sent out two weeks ago and I just received them back yesterday. I'll be re-sending the flies out in the morning; you should have them by mid-week. Sorry again.