Fly Tying
Flytyer14

Rotary Vise poll

Rotary or not?  

773 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ahh. The griffin Spider, I was looking at that as well as the Anvil apex and the Renzetti Traveler. Although to get the traveler i would have to start making some major cash..

I have tied on a fly master (non rotary) for years and didn't know what I was missing!(figuratively and literally :wallbash: ).

But now I got a 720 and I have seen what I have been missing not being able to spin around to check, and to tie on tricky stuff like beards and what not.

So for true rotary I give it two thumbs up :thumbup:

got me a used 'zetti traveler 4 yrs ago and love it! I do need to exchange the old jaws for the new cam lever jaws but other than that I LOVE IT!!!!

I began tying on a Griffin A-2? Then two years ago I upgraded to the Renzetti Traveler. I enjoy both vices and I'm planning on adding another Renzetti later this year. I'm still undecided on which model, so that means I'll probably end up with the "Master Model" if I sell enough flies first! LOL

Perhaps you are thinking of the Griffin Spider vise. Retails for eighty-five dollars. Not exactly cheap but not super expensive either. Never tied on the thing, however I have heard favorable reports on it.

yeah that was the one. thanks jan.

Ahh. The griffin Spider, I was looking at that as well as the Anvil apex and the Renzetti Traveler. Although to get the traveler i would have to start making some major cash..

some good vises there. the renzetti traveler is really a step up and a bit more dough. Also check out the danvise. i know that is another cheap rotary vise that i have heard great things about. A really expensive rotary vise is not going to make you a better tier. maybe a rotary vise in general will make you a better tier. just remember it is the fly tyer who makes the vise. not the vise that makes the fly tyer.

This is interesting. I tie on a HMH Spartan. While not true rotary, it will rotate when the head it level and I use it that way quite often, applying material with the rotary function.

When I attend fly tying shows, I see a lot of rotary vises. However a fairly high percentage of those using rotary vises are seen applying materials hand-over-hand and not using the rotary function. So they use a rotary vise, but not the rotary function. . . .

Of those here that have rotary vises, do you really use the rotary function when appropriate?

Fishyboy, I understand completely, I have heard several unfavorable reports on the danvise though.

Of those here that have rotary vises, do you really use the rotary function when appropriate?

I use it all the time. Spinning on dubbed bodies, palmering hackle, winding hackle collars, chenelle wrapping bodies. I'd say I use the rotary on probably 90% of the flies I tie.

Steve

This is interesting. I tie on a HMH Spartan. While not true rotary, it will rotate when the head it level and I use it that way quite often, applying material with the rotary function.

When I attend fly tying shows, I see a lot of rotary vises. However a fairly high percentage of those using rotary vises are seen applying materials hand-over-hand and not using the rotary function. So they use a rotary vise, but not the rotary function. . . .

i use it alot. mostly flies over #14 pretty much anything smaller makes it easier to use your hands.

Fishyboy, I understand completely, I have heard several unfavorable reports on the danvise though.

go to a fly shop and tie on several different vises. then you will find what you like best for the money! :headbang: :headbang:

What, no totally rad and awesome 720 fans?

Not anymore.

Mike

Did he drop off the face of the earth or get banned?