Fly Tying
Flytyer14

Rotary Vise poll

Rotary or not?  

773 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I bought a DanVise from Al and Gretchen Beaty at the Northwest Fly Tying Expo in March. I have a set of micro jaws that fit in the DanVise for 18 and smaller hooks. I also bought the long jaw set for tying big flies.

My main vice is women oh wrong thread!!!

seriously, I have a couple of vises I do most of my tying on. I have a regal clamped to my tying bench in a permanent fashion. It sees about 85% of my tying. It is about 10 years old and had a good 100 -150 dozen flies tied on it a year. I try to be as careful as possible with the jaws and have been lucky to not have any chips in them yet. most of the flies I tie on it range from 22-4. For larger flies I have a Renzetti presentation 4000 that I use for those. Most of the shops I tie for are pretty much fresh water trout shops so most of the flies I tie on it are for personal use or for a friend who is off for pike, bass or saltwater. When I tie at a shop ro show I use a old Renzetti Traveler that I have had since 1996. it is old and beat but it still functions great. I am looking into another regal with a pedestal base for travel. The one thing I will say is at first I used the rotary on the Renzetti for putting on materials but have found that I can put the materials on much smoother with my hands. I do rotate the vise to tie in materials as was suggested above. The Regal does rotate not "true" but I can rotate the fly around and it fits my purpose.

steve

Started on a Noll kit vise. Moved on to a Thompson model A, which I used for many years and still have. I now tie on a NorVise copy that I built myself.

Have an AK Best, Regal and Peak, all rotary. The Peak is the only "true rotary" I use. The Peak is my travel vise, the AK is my main.

Just upgraded to the Dynaking Barracuda Ultimate Indexer. I think my vice purchases are over. Great vice. Does everything.