Fly Tying
LeweyS

Foam for poppers

For bigger poppers use a .44 magnum or .500 S&W

Good fishing!

yeah better yet TRY to find a handloader who will give away a .500S&W case!! :yahoo:

(By the way people, the items are NOT "Bullet Casings"... I don't care what you hear on TV. In most instances, a Cartridge is made up of a bullet, primer, propellant, and a CASE. When it's fired, the primer compound explodes, which ignites the propellant, which propels the bullet downrange. What is left is an empty case with a spent primer. Ok, I'm done now.)

A trip to your friendly hardware store or craft shop will reveal a vast array of brass tubing in every diameter imaginable. Select the diameters that fit your needs, and when you get home with them, cut off a short piece to chuck into you drill. Save the remainder for new cutters! I use a small metal tube cutter, but you can use a hacksaw or a bandsaw to cut the tubing.

There is a way to make these tubes "self-ejecting", but is near impossible to meaningfully describe. I will make a stab at it for the benefit of those who may want to give it a try. Cut a piece of tubing 3-4inches long. With a grinding stone in a Dremel-type tool, grind away one side starting about one inch up from the bottom end and extending the cut both up (distance determined by length of plugs you plan to cut) the tube and a tad over halfway through it. You are creating an "escape window" in the side of the tube that will permit both the diameter and the length of the plug to pass through. Take a piece of wooden dowel that snugly fits into the tubing and cut one end off at about a 60 degree angle (nothing sacred here) and sand the cut face with 320 grit sand paper to ensure that the thin edge of the cut face does not have a flat edge to it. It MUST transition smoothly into the inside wall of the tube. Push the cut end of the dowel into the tube until the top of the angular cut is level with the top of the "window" you cut in the side of the tube. Mark the dowel at the top of the tube for a cutting reference, as it will later be cut off. While the dowel is in the tube, you want to make sure that the height(length) of the window is sufficient to allow the plug to exit through it. The longitudinal centerline of angle cut should line up with the longitudinal centerline of the window. Mark both the top of the tube and the dowel with alignment marks. Remove the dowel and cut off the excess, coat with epoxy and replace into the tube, making certain that the centerlines are lined up.

You have created a "shunt" inside the tube that will force a plug to change direction and exit through the side window as new plugs are cut and compressed up the tube. No need to have to remove the cutter from the drill every few plugs and "push" the cut plugs out of the tube.

Another well kept secret to cutting plugs using tubing is to put a drop of glycerine, available at your neighborhood corner drug store, on both the outside and inside of the tube. This will lubricate the tube and facilitate smooth movement of the plugs inside the tube. One can also make a "cut" into a bar of soap for lubrication; just DON"T cut all the way through! (A drop of liquid soap should also work in lieu of glycerine---have never tried it.

Cheers,

Perchjerker

Here is what I made to cut out the discs. It's made from 1/2" thin wall electrical conduit and a Black and Decker sanding drum 5/8". I cut a window in the side to of the conduit so I can insert a thin screwdriver and slide out the discs. I sharpen one end with a Dremel and insert the 1/2" rubber sanding drun into the other end and tighten the nut.

100_3631.jpg

100_3634.jpg

100_3633.jpg

100_3635.jpg

74-790_P1.jpg

Sunfisher;

Neat! The only substantial difference between yours and what I described is that with mine, you don't have to stop cutting to empty the barrel. A great alternative to what I have made, and a lot less work involved.

Cheers,

perchjerker

Perchjerker -

Any chance of a picture of your foam cutter tube? You know what they say - "pix = 1000 words" :thumbsup: I think I understand what you're saying in your description, but it would really help to see it too.

best-

Bob V

Sunfisher;

Neat! The only substantial difference between yours and what I described is that with mine, you don't have to stop cutting to empty the barrel. A great alternative to what I have made, and a lot less work involved.

Cheers,

perchjerker

Thanks, I made it that way so I could do several processes at once . I glue sections of 6mm foam together with 3M Super77 adhesive the thickness of the bugs I want to make. Then I cut them out with the plug cutter and a cordless drill. I made a centering tool out of two bottle caps and a straight section of metal coat rack (sharpened on one end). I glue a single foam disc on the tool, this allows you to insert it into the plug cutter and make a hole through the center of the plug. When you pop it out it's ready for the Dremel and the hole is centered every time.

100_3638.jpg

100_3639.jpg

100_3643.jpg

100_3644.jpg

100_3645.jpg