Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
artimus

Dan Vise

Has anyone used this vise? I'm interested in the jaw strength, smoothness of the rotary head, and the durability. Also the cost vs. value.

Art

I use one. Can't beat it for the price. The jaws hold very well and it rotates smoothly. I use the rotary all the time. I do have plans to upgrade to something better in the not to distant future though.

Never used one Art but i know they go on ebay for like $79 all the time so check that out when you are ready to buy. If they dont ship to canadia tongue.gif then let me know and i'll buy it and send it to ya.

SD

Steve,

Exactly where I have been looking at then. I would like a Renzetti or such but $$$$. A cheap rotory for now is what I'm looking at. You'll buy it for me?!?! wub.gif wub.gif lol.gif

Art

hehe, my 90 buck renzetti aint such a bad deal...... i kinda lucked into that one. was a display they wanted out the door.

steve

There is nothing funny about our money. Actually down right frightening today with the exchange. Somedays are better when I go to the bank then others. dunno.gif

I use a Danvise as well (at least when I'm not spinning deer hair...). I tie a lot of large warmwater and saltwater flies, so i got the extension arm for it through Al Beatty to give more room behind the jaws for larger flies. I've got no complaints now. The vise is easy to adjust and holds the hook very securely.

Mark Delaney

I've been using the DanVise for a couple of years. I really, really like it.

It's got a very smooth rotary action, the jaws are excellent and I use the rotary function all the time. They have an internal spring operated cam jaw not a rubberband like the Renzetti. The jaw is infinitly adjustable for hook size, I've tied as small as 28 and as large a 1 all with no slipping and absolutely no visible wear on the jaws.

They are starting to sell accessories for it now. I've seen an extension for the jaw for people who tie things like Clousers and long streamers, I'm thinking about ordering one about $30, and I've see a pedistal base for it as well. They also have a new luxury model available on the net made of machined aluminum in 4 or 5 pretty colors. At about $200.

I paid $79 I think at Orvis for the generic Dan Vise. I've thought about another vise and still look at them in stores but I can't justify in my mind the price difference compared to value and function. All that shiney metal looks great but it dosn't work a lick better. The more I use the DanVise the better I like it.

Buy one, I know you like it.

I had one for about 10 months. The thing was great until it blew up one day. The rotating handle blew off the back end and put a dent into the wall next to my tying table. I returned it and got a regal. I will never tie without a regal again.

Slate Drake

Sign in to follow this