Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
EMARF

saltwater fly rod

Hi looking for a little help on a rod , I want a 9wt rod for redfish,snook,trout ,the rod I was looking at are the TFO TiCrx and the professional model and help would be great kind of a newbee I haven't fly fish in about 10yrs

some help please

I'd look at an 8wt for an all around rod and over line it with a good 9wt floating redfish taper line, this will load the rod quickly for sight casting and also help you get a good feel when casting. If its been a while I would also be a good idea to hit your local fly shops, get their opinion and try a few rods to find one that meets your current needs and skill level that and continue to work well as your skills increase.

I just bought a 5 wt for trout fishing just because it's a heap of fun.

I picked up a 9wt Snowbee deep blue saltwater rod for pike fishing. I needed a rod that could throw 8-12 inch flies all day in the wind. I matched it with an airflow 9wt 40+ cold saltwater line and it throws a 10 inch fly with a belgium cast 70 feet with no effort. Just my 2 cents. With a double haul your throwing the line into the backing.