Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Flytyer14

Thread....

What brand threads should i get. I hear alot of good reports for UNI but any other opinions. Thanks

-Mark

Depends on what you want. UNI is great thread. I use it all the time, but only in the small sizes (8/0 on up)

Danville is also one of my favorites. It lies flat on the hook shank which I like alot. I mostly use it in 6/0 and 3/0. They make a killer thread.

i really agree with jan on that one. i have UNI in 6/0 but really dont like it. it is way to bulky. i love my 210 denier danville.

UNI is awesome thread I use it in 8/0 to 6/0

Danville I use 6/0 and 3/0, they have very bright and vibrant colors

Sometime I'll use UTC's GSP thread which is very strong

And then if your getting small use the smaller threads.

You really need to get some of a bunch of different brands / styles and see what you like, for whatever purposes you need. Thread is relatively cheap in the fly tying game.

i really agree with jan on that one. i have UNI in 6/0 but really dont like it. it is way to bulky. i love my 210 denier danville.

You may want to look at your numbers again... 210 is LESS bulky than uni 6/0?? I know the Danville lays flat, I use it for large flies and other stuff, but I can't agree that 6/0 uni is bulkier than Danville 210. I don't like Uni 6/0 because IMO it just feels too abrasive. Some people really like it exactly for that property.

I've gone to using Danville 6/0 waxed for almost all of my fly tying, even bass flies and bucktails etc. It's all about tension control. I also have used miles of Danville 3/0 Monocord (it's NOT monofilament), and for spinning deer hair, there is nothing that performs as well as GSP, 100 denier can do it all, but on big stacked bugs 200 denier has it's place.

I seem to tie with Uni 6/0 for trout flies of size 14 and up, Uni 8/0 for 16 and down. For bass bugs and saltwater I've really come to prefer UTC 140 for smaller sizes, and UTC 210 for bigger stuff. It just creates a smoother head than the Uni thread. However, it frays worse than Uni.

Horses for courses. Thread's cheap, it's worth experimenting with.

You really need to get some of a bunch of different brands / styles and see what you like, for whatever purposes you need. Thread is relatively cheap in the fly tying game.

You may want to look at your numbers again... 210 is LESS bulky than uni 6/0?? I know the Danville lays flat, I use it for large flies and other stuff, but I can't agree that 6/0 uni is bulkier than Danville 210. I don't like Uni 6/0 because IMO it just feels too abrasive. Some people really like it exactly for that property.

I've gone to using Danville 6/0 waxed for almost all of my fly tying, even bass flies and bucktails etc. It's all about tension control. I also have used miles of Danville 3/0 Monocord (it's NOT monofilament), and for spinning deer hair, there is nothing that performs as well as GSP, 100 denier can do it all, but on big stacked bugs 200 denier has it's place.

yea my bad. i was referring how it lays on the hook.

It really depends on what you're tying. I like 55 denier gsp for some stuff, it's small and you're not going to break it, but it is kind of slick. I like ultrafine mono for tying striper flies (danville's is good). My every day use thread is Gordon Griffith's 14/0 Sheer. It lays flat, is very small but still fairly strong. It's not for tying bigger flies mind you but for everyday trout flies (nymphs/dries/emergers etc..) it's great. Comes in a bunch of colors too. For bigger stuff like hoppers and large nymphs is where I would use the GSP but I have a ton of different threads lying around I haven't tried yet but maybe one day.

I prefer UTC 70 for most of my flies. I would recommend trying a spool or two from several of the companies. I have UTC, Danville, Hook and Hackle Euro thread, Griffith 14/0 and Gudebrod. They all have their uses. I do have one spool of Uni. I feel it's tensile strength is the lowest of all my threads, even the 14/0. I think it is important to tie with the smallest denier thread possible. Save the 6/0 and 3/0 (140 and 210) for foam flies, wooly buggers and bass bugs.

I suggest picking up a spool of UNI 6-0 and a spool of Danville 210 in pretty much the same color and tying a few of the same patterns with each thread. There is a WORLD of difference between them. I have probably 12 spools of Danville 210 and about the same number of spools of UNI in 6-0 and 8-0. UNI is my go-to thread. Danville is my alternate thread. There are certain patterns that Danville just does better (IMHO).