Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
CaddisCowboy

Nets are for pansies.....

I just uploaded my first YouTube video, and I thought you all might get a kick out of it. It was filmed on an outing two weeks ago on which I wasn't carrying a net because I didn't plan on running into any big fish. I think I may quit carrying a net, because apparently 22" rainbow trout see it as an opportunity to embarass me! :huh:

Below is the link, I hope you enjoy watching me fumble around!

~Evan

Great video,nice fish, good sound track...my wife was wondering what I was laughing at...loved it Evan!

Dude, Nice fish you caught..But please use a net..This way you protect the fishes slime coating. By having it rub against your coat and touching it with your glove, you remove it's protective coating. If you plan on keeping it, It's all good.. But if you catch and release them.. Please use a net....NJF

Thank you everyone for the kind comments. Lykos, I'm glad you were able to get some laughs at my expense! ;)

Dude, Nice fish you caught..But please use a net..This way you protect the fishes slime coating. By having it rub against your coat and touching it with your glove, you remove it's protective coating. If you plan on keeping it, It's all good.. But if you catch and release them.. Please use a net....NJF

NJFlyMan,

I am a guide, active member of TU, and President of my college's Fly Fishing Club and just like you mortality reduction and conservation of our coldwater sportsfish are of the utmost importance to me and my way of life. This fish was released, of course, and swam away unharmed under his own efforts. I normally carry a net when I plan on encountering larger fish, and I forego one when releasing smaller fish that require very little handling. It's common practice for many Steelhead fisherman to use only a tailing glove to land fish. In fact, I've heard on a few occassions that nets actually increase mortality rates since the abrasive surface removes the protective slime as the fish thrashes. Interestingly enough, I ran a quick Google Scholar search, and found that to be entirely true based on this report in Reviews in Fisheries Science. I'll quote:

Landing nets are a simple and effective way for anglers to gain control of hooked fish and return them to the water, ideally with a minimum of stress or injury. Unfortunately, the use of nets can result in increased mortality and injury for angled fish. The epithelia covering fish skin produces a layer of mucus that contains both nonspecific and specific defense factors, such as immunoglobins, lysozymes, and proteases (Pickering and Pottinger, 1995; Wendelaar Bonga, 1997). When fish are handled during C&R angling (either by hands or by nets), there is an increased likelihood of removal of this protective mucus layer increasing the susceptibility to disease.

I'm with you entirely, man. It's good practice to carry a net and imply proper C&R techniques. This video was perhaps not a textbook example of that (i.e. me carrying the fish around like a football!). Nonetheless, angling is still a "blood sport" and you can only approach it with a limited amount of self rightousness. Everytime you land a fish you have unknowingly inflicted some sort of physical damage on that specimen (i.e. hook penetration and removal, exhaustion, potential for predation, etc.). The fact of the matter is, C&R mortality is extremely low on the vast list of threats to our wild trout populations. A list that includes such issues as water development and depletion, habitat fragmentation via restriction of fish passage, livestock grazing, road design impacts, etc. I know your intentions were well placed, and I thank you for that.

~Evan

tailing gloves are the best I use them on steelhead, salmon, and brown trout it actually allows you to take the hook out of the fish without completely removing the fish from the water also now they have CNR nets that are less abusive to the fish but hey we all forget something sometimes

I would stop carrying a net but every so often I hook into the one that the locals call "Walter" and I regret it. By the way, nice video

You'd think that Walter would sit further back from the water front when he keeps getting snagged so much. Poor guy must be a bit dumb. :rolleyes: