Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Jason68

A Beginner Question

Hi This is my first post and I am very new to fly tying. My question, I see Sharpie Pen's and Art markers in some of your pictures Are these used often? Should I invest in them?

Any help would help Thanks.

The only thing that I would use them for is to color the nymph skin on a Czech or something.

Welcome to the forum!!

Let me know if you want some Deer hair I have a little extra.

i wouldnt rush out and buy them immediately, but they are nice to have around just in case

i would concentrate on better quality materials and tools rather than markers

If I were you I wouldn't buy markers until (and unless) you have a need for them. Then get the colours you need for the pattern at hand. For the cost of a few markers you can get yourself a hen cape, a few squares of elk, or a half-dozen bags of dubbing, all of which you will get more use out of.

sharpies are very useful for some saltwater patterns, especially when adding bars to shrimp patterns and some baitfish patterns like pinfish.

i think they are nice. but i have been tying for 2 years without them. i just started using them. and most of them are used for larger flies like bass and saltwater.

Hi This is my first post and I am very new to fly tying. My question, I see Sharpie Pen's and Art markers in some of your pictures Are these used often? Should I invest in them?

Any help would help Thanks.

Markers wouldn't be (and weren't) my first thought when getting set up to tie. Maybe a black Sharpie would come in handy. BUT... if you are into painting flies, by all means go for it! B)

I have been tying for about 40 years and have only used them for one specific fly, the Hornberg, which calls for jungle cock nail feathers. I bought a gold Pantone pen so I could color the white 'eye' spot on the neck feathers of a male Mearn's quail to use as a substitute for the jungle cock nails, which were priced out of my range at the time. The pen has not been used in years now. The moral to this is that your money would be better spent on other items.

Welcome to the "fur and feather realm".

Hi Jason,

We know people who have tied for years and never used a felt-tip marker of any kind. If the cost of the investment is a concern then we suggest purchasing one at a time only when needed. That said we use the black Sharpie from our home-office desk as much as we do any other color. One place the black Sharpie works really well is to cover a small spot on a black head where we missed covering one of the tying materials under it. In this situation you could wrap another layer of thread to cover the offending spot (making the head larger than you wanted) or just touch the spot with the Sharpie to make it blend with the black thread head. Only you will know once the head cement has been applied. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Gretchen & Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com