Fly Tying
RoaringForkFisher

Beginner Tools

I would recommend Charlie Craven's basic tying book. Excellent tutorials and and a lot of good advise on materials and tools. KWSU has 3 seasons of Fly tying the anglers art online. I have learned a great deal of information from watching Leroy Hyatt and Dave Engerbretson. I would get the best tools I could afford. I have made the mistake of buying mediocre tools and turning around a few months later to upgrade to the tool I should have bought in the first place. It is true that tools don't give you skills. Yes, you do need to develop your skills first. Just remember, the best race car driver in the world won't win the Indy 500 driving a Yugo! Get the best tools you can. If you have to save for a few more weeks, do it. It will make your tying experience much better and less frustrating. And tie everyday if you can.

Great advice on the tools, tony. I made the mistake of skimping on them when i first started and spending more on the materials. Definitely not the way to go.

Are there any substitutes for swiss straw?

Without knowing what application you have in mind, I will say that I like Stalcup's Medallion Sheeting for wings, wing cases etc.

how much would you suggest a good set up to cost?

It all comes down to what do you want to spend?

You can do fine with an AA vise from J.Stockard. if your just starting out.

And spend most of your money on tools and materials.. When you progress, than get a better vise.

For trout flies on moving water, you will be tying size 12-20. I would say that the bulk of your flies will be size 16. Save your money on tools and buy some nice saddle hackle in size 14/16. (and hooks)

I agree that the AA vise is a good starting point. You can always use it as a travel vise after you drop some money on a better vise.

I suggest for tools

2 griffin ceramic tip bobbins (maybe a magnum and a standard).

1 pair of good fly tying scissors (Maybe even two. I like wiss snips, but they should be sharp and have a sharp/pointed tip)

1 bodkin (with a half hitch tool built in to the handle)

1 bobbin threader (I like Rainey's)

1 whip finish tool (I prefer matterelli style)

1 brass/metal hair stacker

Maybe a hackle pliers would be nice, but I don't think it is a necessity.

I think that this is the set of tools that you need to get started and I would invest in good quality bobbins, scissors and a good whip finish tool. These are the basics that you will use all of the time. I also think a good vise would be nice, but you might want to see how much you like tying before investing in a good vise, since you might want to spend over $150 just in the vise.

Carl

CarlZ the bobbin sizes magnum and a standard Would that be A 4" and 3"? And what would you have more of? I am also new to this and have been reading this thread and it has been very helpful.

CarlZ the bobbin sizes magnum and a standard Would that be A 4" and 3"? And what would you have more of? I am also new to this and have been reading this thread and it has been very helpful.

I have Dr. Slick ceramic bobbins in 3" and 4." I think it comes down to what you like. I use the 4" more than the 3" ones. I do plan on purchasing a few Tiemco ceramic bobbins in the future per Charlie Craven's recommendation. The tiemco have a solid ceramic tube and brass feet compared to the Dr. Slick/Griffin ceramic tip/butt and delrin feet.

just looked at js fly fishing and i think i will buy from them since they are cheaper

I think you'll be happy with JStockard. I've ordered a BUNCH of stuff from JS and have been quite pleased. I recommend Dr. Slick Scissors. My favorite bobbin is an Umpqua "Ergo".

Magnum is actually shorter than the standard and is a bit under 3" but about 3" and 4" is about right.

For starting out I would get one of each. I have a bunch of other bobbins, but I end up swaping to one of the ceramic tipped bobbins most of the time. I doesn't take that long to swap spools, so you really don't need more than one bobbin (ok, maybe two), but if you spend a lot of time tying, you will end up with quite a few more.

I haven't used the full ceramic bobbins. A long time ago, they were prone to breaking, but I haven't kept up. I have all the bobbins I need for now.

Carl