Fly Tying
RoaringForkFisher

Beginner Tools

so this vise http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...&hasJS=true which is a danvise

and i think i found the same set of dr slick tools i don't know check it out http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...&hasJS=true do you think that is good enough to start+ some materials and hooks?

Yup, that looks like the same stuff. While there are several accomplished tyers that tie on the Danvise, know before you buy it it's made of resin, so it will have a "plastic" feel to it. At least that's what I've heard... I've never tied on one. If you're willing to spend $100 more on a vise, you'll probably end up with 25 different options for a vise, but if you want to stick sub $100, tiers generally seem very happy with that vise for the money.

Have you decided on patterns you want to tie?

Edit: Good call on looking @ JStockard. They sponsor this fine site, so I buy 95% of my stuff from them for that reason. They are good people to work with and are a small operation. Their customer service is tops.

I try to do that, but then I always seem to add another color of this and another size of that...and as long as I'm here, I may as well get this (in different colors & sizes)...

I started with the bigger cabelas tool/vise kit - the hackle pliers are junk and the scissors eventually will need to be upgraded. The vise jaws were too soft and I tend to squeeze too hard, so after a few months I bought a Peak...and new scissors...and then a couple more pairs of new scissors...and good hackle pliers (x3)...and several more bobbins...

you see where this leads.

yeah i think i'm feeling good about the danvise and the dr slick tool set from js fly fishings, looks good, and for patterns i'm not really sure, what do you suggest for river trout fishing, and freshwater lake fishing for various fish?

I'm not a trout fisher, although one day I hope to move to the "grown-up table" :D Wooly Buggers are good streamers and will catch fish virtually anywhere. For dry fly patterns, Adams are time proven, but I'm not sure they are the best beginner fly. Dry flies tend to take a bit more attention so they float correctly... perhaps elk hair caddis would be good for you to try.

What weight fly rod are you going to be fishing with?

I think you should purchase the book "Essential Trout Flies" by Dave Hughes...It's a awesome book with many great patterns that one would use for trout fishing.

And the Fly Tyers Benchside Reference. The books can be a bit spendy - check your library before you buy any.

thanks for the book recommendations i will look into them, and i have an 8 1/2 feet 5 weight rod

Check out Barnes & Noble if you have one near you..They should have allot of books that you can spend an evening browsing and looking at different patterns.. I do this when I'm bored at night.. I goto B&N and browse through the fly tying section and the magazines they have..

Definitely go with the Dr. Slick tools (although you only really need scissors, whip finisher, and hair stacker), but stay away from the Danvise if you can afford better. Get something that will last, like a Renzetti, Dyna-King, Regal, HMH, or Griffin. It is a matter of either spending the money now, or spending it later.

The basic difference is that the Danvise has rotation. The Griffin is a stationary vise. Jaws on that model don't rotate. So there is an extra feature on the Danvise, the quality of both is good. Some people have a problem with the delrin parts of the Danvise.

As for books, the library is a source for hundreds of books, and there all FREE. Inter library loans are available everywhere, and you can get almost any book you want that way.

For patterns for stream fishing, you can get by with wooly buggers in black brown, and olive for streamers. Simple to tie, and they use fairly inexpensive materials. I usually use turkey and pheasant instead of marabou. I get my bird skins from hunters.

Nymphs. you can get started with the pheasant tail, and a "fur body nymph" Common example of a fur body nymph is the hares ear. With an assortment of different color dubbings, you can tie up many different fur nymphs. Soft hackle wet flies are another simple pattern that has proven effective everywhere. All you need is some floss, or dubbing and some hen hackle.

Dry flies, and elk hair caddis, and a comparadun will get you started. Again all you need is dubbing and elk and deer hair. The elk hair caddis can be tied without hackle, and it will float, and work just fine. The comparadun flies all are tied without hackle. So no need to start spending big money on dry fly hackle.

I tie mainly on a danvise and the only 2 things I can say is first off change the plastic screws to metal and secondly take the jaws apart and heat them with a torch till they are really hot and then throw them in oil to temper them and make them harder 2 or 3 times will be fine then put it all back together with the new steel screws and your vise is good for over one hundred thousand flies of any size

Guest Big E

Before you drop the coin, I would suggest going to a local fly shop and trying some vices out. Most places also will let you tie on one. I would also mention that if you can wait, you may be able to find a used vice in the classifieds. You also need to think how sustainable this is going to be for you since you're not going to be able to just stop at a couple hundred of dollars. Good luck in whatever you decide to do and post pics of your flies when you start tying.

I just started fly tying .And i had nothing no tools nothing so i started to look on Kijiji

for anyone selling off there stuff . And anyone getting out of fly tying . And one day i bought rubermaids full of fly tying Goodness!!

Search kijiji ebay and any other sites !! You never know what you will find !. Ijust pick up some ones complete set off fly tying books for 50 $

Just keep looking :)