Fly Tying
eastern fly

Foam Diver

This I my first try ay making a foam head. Let me know what you think. I will get better at it. I also want to make popper bodies but i'm not sure how big they should be.

Kevin

post-3866-1271513748_thumb.jpg

post-3866-1271513796_thumb.jpg

Eastern, that is a great looking tail! I like the colors on the head too. If it doesn't dive like you think it should, maybe try knocking some of the hump off the nose to make more of a slope from front to back kind of like the lip on a crankbait. Although if it dives like it is, I'd like to know cause your style would be less work. The ones I've done shaped like yours are great sliders but don't dive under like I like a diver to.

For the popper, just make the head so that it comes short of the hook point and the diameter about the size of or one and a half times that of the hook gape, as a general go-by.

Kirk

Here are some simple ones, not painted as nice as yours but these have caught fish and dive down about 8 - 12 inches.

DSC_0548-1.jpg

That's a good looking fly. If you are looking to make them dive deeper try using a convex curve on the front like you have and then a concave curve towards the back. (I could post a pic if you want but I don't have one right now). Also try using a short zonker strip in the tail to "anchor" the fly a little better and force the fly to go down when you strip it in. However I'm sure you'll have no problem getting fish to take them as is.

--Chad