Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
biginjapan

carp?

anyone going for carp? I'm thinking about itthis year, but not sure what to tie for them? also what kind of techniques are you using?

thanks

marty

I have but the one I did catch last year I wasnt looking for that day. I was using my 4wt with a braided leader and he took my Latex Pupa. He took me deep into my backing 3 times before I got him in. I like to use my 7 wt when I "am" looking for them.

Kevin

Marty, the times I've caught them intentionally on flies, they were caught on nymphs or small crayfish patterns, and they were rooting in the bottom. I've never had any success with cruising carp, they're just too darn skittish to take anything I've ever tossed at them. I try to find them feeding & sight cast to them.

I don't think specific fly patterns really make much difference to them, but I like flies that are tied "buggy"with soft materials, like marabou, that have some movement to them even when sitting on the bottom. These types have worked the best for me, and primarily in dark colors, although tan flies work well & sometimes some chartreuse added seems to get their attention. I use shades of olive, and black colored flies, tied on size 2, 4 & 6 hooks the most. (Just like for Bonefish!)

For crayfish imitations, I've used Crazy Charlie & other flats type flies. Shades of olive, tan, browns & black have been my best producers.

Hope this helps you! :)

Tidewater summed it up pretty good. I have not had a cruising carp take a fly either. In shallow water, look for tails, the fish itself and muds. In a little deeper water, you may catch a glimpse of their tail but a telltale sign they are grubbing around the bottom is a steady stream of bubbles gurgling on the surface.

Presentation is the key. You need to present the fly within inches of its nose; the fly does not have to land there, you can cast past and to the side and strip it into that zone. That is going to be your best bet; I have had them turn on a fly as far as six to eight inches away but I've never had one chase a fly down.

Now, one of the exceptions to these rules if if you find a mulberry tree overhanging the water with ripe mulberries falling in the water and carp feeding on the mulberries. A purple deer hair bug trimmed like a berry will be gulped in.

Good luck.

Kirk

Here is my first one of the year I got a few weeks ago. Kind of small, about 3 - 4lbs, but a hell of a time on my 4 wt.

DSC_0346-2.jpg

If you look close, you can see the bead chain of a 3366#10 squirrel tail wing.

DSC_0347-3.jpg

thanks guys-i'll get tying thia week, tokyo is just starting to heat up this time of year so i've got a couple of weeks bto get ready.

marty

Here is a youtube step-by-step I did a while back on a fly I have become very reliant on for carp.

I also really like any craw patterns smaller than say... 8 but really prefer something like a 10 or 12, also have had good luck with standard type nymphs in 12 and 14 when they begin to cruise and shut off a bit. I have also taken several with shad darts, it started by accident then I thew a few one day into a mud ball and caught several fish so I have them on hand now all of the time just in case.

Some local guys are going to put on a carp tournament the end of may, a friend of mine and I are going to be entering with fly only and see how we do, we know the water pretty well and feel fairly confident. If anyone in the NW MO or NE KS area reads this PM me and I'll get you the info for the tourney.

Steve

Doing a bi of prefishing this weekend with my best carpin' buddy and we got to talking about the headstand, he and I both decided that in the last year or so 80% of our fish or more have come on a #6 head stand, the same color as I tied i the video. After I got home and went to looking at my fishing log and read through the last year and what I found was out of 68 fish in 2009 and 15 so far in 2010 all but 8 were caught on that particular headstand. I should really start fishing some different flies....

Thanks for the compliments on the video, it was my very first and i have been thinking lately about redoing it..... we'll see about that.

Steve

I have been having good luck with a fly called the Backstabber Carp Fly

Here is the video:

They use marabou for the tail but I have been using rabbit strips instead. Also i didn't order new hooks I went to wal-mart and bought some size 6 octopus hooks that seem to do well.

It has been pretty cool in the mornings around here about 40 degrees. I just find a silt puff and cast to it from about 40-50 ft away and use a long leader/tippet ( about 10ft all together) and just fish it nice and slow. I hooked into a big one this morning but the fly popped out. Hopefully I will get some pics up soon.

I have but the one I did catch last year I wasnt looking for that day. I was using my 4wt with a braided leader and he took my Latex Pupa. He took me deep into my backing 3 times before I got him in. I like to use my 7 wt when I "am" looking for them.

Kevin

Why were you using a braided leader? That just sounds like a recipe for disaster... Even on my spinning gear I tie on a mono leader to my braid main line...

Doing a bi of prefishing this weekend with my best carpin' buddy and we got to talking about the headstand, he and I both decided that in the last year or so 80% of our fish or more have come on a #6 head stand, the same color as I tied i the video. After I got home and went to looking at my fishing log and read through the last year and what I found was out of 68 fish in 2009 and 15 so far in 2010 all but 8 were caught on that particular headstand. I should really start fishing some different flies....

Thanks for the compliments on the video, it was my very first and i have been thinking lately about redoing it..... we'll see about that.

Steve

nice video steve, tied a couple up, and a big crawfish style one too. they look deadly thanks for posting it.

tmatt, i've seen the backstabber video but havent used them yet. Like you i tied them with rabbit strip instead of marabou (bahama mama style)

martyn

Thanks for the compliment Martyn. I tell you what though I am really diggin' the backstabber, looks like it could be a killer.

Steve

anyone going for carp? I'm thinking about itthis year, but not sure what to tie for them? also what kind of techniques are you using?

thanks

marty

2/0 Trebble hook. Just strip really fast past them. :ph34r:

Thanks for the compliment Martyn. I tell you what though I am really diggin' the backstabber, looks like it could be a killer.

Steve

yeah it looks good, full of coptions and it looks even better tin real life than the video- tie some!!