Fly Tying
thenextlevel

First attempts at a Woolly Bugger

I started fly fishing and tying when I was ten years old. I remember being in our local fly shop and over hearing the owner and my father talking about how most kids forget about fly fishing when they turn 16 and get a drivers license and girlfriends. Funny how that was right, 11 years later I am 27 and have rediscovered my passion for fly fishing and fly tying. So I decided to dig out all of my tying materials and give it a go at some Woolly Buggers. Even when I was tying a dozen flies a day I was never more than a beginner, so I am sure after my ten year hiatus I haven't gotten any better. Anyways, for your viewing pleasure....

post-26315-1271728808_thumb.jpg

post-26315-1271728854_thumb.jpg

Nice work after that leave of absence. My only comments, the second fly - tail is a little heavy and avoid clipping the ends of the marabou. It will give you a more natural taper and better movement.

Deeky

If you have to trim the tails, do it by pinching and tearing off small amounts. Not the whole tail at once. That way, you can give it a little taper. They will still catch fish the way they are.

I didn't actually trim the tail, that was the only marabou I had to work with and all the tips were trimmed. I am going to be tying and posting alot more in the future. Up next is a pattern called the Kreelex, I think it might be a local pattern, not to sure though