Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
agn54

Red Rat

Got the idea for this fly from Smalliestalker's subbuggin page. My wife said it looked like a little mouse, hence the name (I chose rat because I like alliteration :D ) . Do not pack the deer hair for the head because it will be too boyant. This fly swims, depending on speed of retrieve, a few inches below the surface.

Thanks Dave. I got several trout this past weekend, biggest was up around 20 in. Missed several good strikes and got broken off twice (one was a bad knot and the other might have been a blue or mackerel I'm guessing since it broke the tippet clean). All in all it wasn't too bad, but there was a tournament going on and with all the people constantly running and gunning all around the flats, I was glad to catch anything. It was funny to watch some people pull up right in my drift lane, cast for 3 minutes and then pull up and race off somewhere else. In any case, I was just glad to be out. How has it been up in PC?

You have gotta love the tournaments, we don't have any around here any more :yahoo: However, we still have plenty of inconsiderate anglers that think nothing of jumping in on your drift or burning through the area you took your time poling to. I just try and let it go, yelling just makes it worse.

I Have been in Indianapolis this last week at the IAFC Fire Conference, so Last weekend was my last time out...had been bragging about the killer days to some friends from Wyoming who were coming down for business, sure enough...we went to St Joe Bay and proceeded to get our skunk on :whistle: Still had a great time though, water was nice and the scenery was a beautiful as ever.

Have to work in the morning, will try to get out in the afternoon. Will update "a day on the bay" if we catch anything.

Cheers...dave