Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
spinner

Turkey wings

I have resently aquired a set of wings from a friend who shot a turkey. I was wondering how to store them. Should I just pluck the feathers and pair them or what, kindly taking recomendations on what to do.

You can do one of two things: 1) skin out the meat and salt/tan/dry the wings or 2) pluck and match the feathers. Personally, I would choose the latter.

BTW, congratulations! You have some wonderful feathers there: Secondaries for wingcases, primaries for biot quill bodies, covert feathers for collars and burnt wings, and fibers for tails everywhere!

I agree with rockworm! Pluck um and match them!

I hunt turkey and have many buddies collecting wings and tails for me, I also do traditional archery and make my own arrows. Primary wing feathers is all I use for that, turkey hunting starts monday here in Ontario Canada.

Here we go again, should get about 20 sets of wings plus my own two turkeys.

If you can get some of the body feathers you can have a lot of fun tying different flies with them and the marabou is great.

Happy Material collecting,

Blessings,

Jeremy

I got a set of wings (the guy had taken out the meat and cured them) and a whole tail. The feathers that the guys told me to hold onto like gold for wetfly wings are these ones http://www.americanflyfishing.com/Fly+Tyin...+Wing+Quil.html

Because mine were already cured I just cut matched feathers off the wings as I need them. Always match feathers this way from wing feathers for wet flys. Reason for this, if you try marrying slips of feathers right side feathers won't stick to the left hand side feathers or vice versa.

If you already haven't check out the companion site Classicflytying.com and go through the old threads on wet flys. You can also search Don Bastian as he was a big contributor of info on wet flys.

As Rock said lots of great feathers between the tail and wings.

Have fun trying different patterns

Fatman