Fly Tying
NJFlyMAn

Au Sable River NY

I was wondering what type of rod one should use when fishing this location? I was thinking of using a 9' 4wt rod. Is this rod to light for this river around June?

Any other information about this location would be great....

I was wondering what type of rod one should use when fishing this location? I was thinking of using a 9' 4wt rod. Is this rod to light for this river around June?

Any other information about this location would be great....

I fished it a couple years ago with a friend who lives near there. I used my 5wt. A four is doable but maybe on the light side. There were no monsters there for us but I was casting #2 streamers as well as #14 Dries and nymphs. Most of the fish were stockers as NY believes in killing every fish they get their hands on. They just don't seem to get the whole "catch and release" thing. It is managed as a put and take fishery. Some guides will take you bushwacking up to some higher tributaries for native Brookies and there a 4 wt may be perfect if not too big. Hope that helps.

--Searching!!

You're referring to the area below Monument Falls, right? If so, a 4 wt. should work just fine. I fish the Whiteface Mtn/Ausable Forks area every year, and have caught fish on everything from my 000 wt. through 6 wt. It depends (obvoiusly) on your method and flies. The area below Monument Falls is quite popular, and as a result (in my experience) smaller flies and lighter tippet than other areas of the river are a must. There are some BIG fish in there, but if you're comfortable with and know the limits of your tackle, you should be fine. There are plenty of stockers to be had, but there is a large # of wild/holdover fish as well. Be aware also, that any rain is quick to raise and discolor the river. So if it rains for a day, be prepared to bump up the tackle if need be. On the flip side, it comes back into shape quickly too.

Off topic: SearchingSolitude, the ignorance of your statement is astounding. #1: Not all New Yorkers kill "every fish they get their hands on". I, for one, release the vast majority of the fish I catch. Yes, I do keep some fish. And, no I do not feel guilty about it. #2: How do you even know the people you are talking about are even FROM NY? Remember, this area is a famous destination for all sorts of outdoor activities. There are plenty of out-of-staters there at any given time. Try going fishing in Pulaski during the salmon run. Look in the parking areas and tell me how many out-of-state licencse plates you see. #3: If this river is managed strictly as put and take, why is the area in question artificials only catch and release? And why was a new artificals only catch and release area established a few years ago?

I'm not trying to start a war, but as a New Yorker who actually does respect the resource, I take offense. Please, think before you post something like that next time.

Jagerboy

I will be up there in two weeks. Where are these big fish (jk), I have tried the famous quarry pool in am but no luck yet on a monster..I love fishing that river and have made some really good friends fishing up there...maybe we will run into each other someday up there

mike

You're referring to the area below Monument Falls, right? If so, a 4 wt. should work just fine. I fish the Whiteface Mtn/Ausable Forks area every year, and have caught fish on everything from my 000 wt. through 6 wt. It depends (obvoiusly) on your method and flies. The area below Monument Falls is quite popular, and as a result (in my experience) smaller flies and lighter tippet than other areas of the river are a must. There are some BIG fish in there, but if you're comfortable with and know the limits of your tackle, you should be fine. There are plenty of stockers to be had, but there is a large # of wild/holdover fish as well. Be aware also, that any rain is quick to raise and discolor the river. So if it rains for a day, be prepared to bump up the tackle if need be. On the flip side, it comes back into shape quickly too.

Off topic: SearchingSolitude, the ignorance of your statement is astounding. #1: Not all New Yorkers kill "every fish they get their hands on". I, for one, release the vast majority of the fish I catch. Yes, I do keep some fish. And, no I do not feel guilty about it. #2: How do you even know the people you are talking about are even FROM NY? Remember, this area is a famous destination for all sorts of outdoor activities. There are plenty of out-of-staters there at any given time. Try going fishing in Pulaski during the salmon run. Look in the parking areas and tell me how many out-of-state licencse plates you see. #3: If this river is managed strictly as put and take, why is the area in question artificials only catch and release? And why was a new artificals only catch and release area established a few years ago?

I'm not trying to start a war, but as a New Yorker who actually does respect the resource, I take offense. Please, think before you post something like that next time.

Kiss my ass I'm from NY and it was an exageration based on a stereotype! I'll insult NY any time I want. Oh, and I never said "strictly put and take"

Quote:

"And why was a new artificals only catch and release area established a few years ago?"....cuz they had to-- NY'ers kill evry fish they get their hands on!!!

:blink:

Wow, very mature........... I can see you it would be a waste of time even trying to have any sort of intelligent conversation with you. I try to make a point, and you come back with petty insults. I hope I never run into you on the river, I couldn't imagine sharing it with someone as "gracious" and "informed" as yourself.

A 4wt is fine for the AuSable(the Au Sable is in Michigan :P ). That said, if you have the option of going up to a 5 or 6, I would take it. Flows are typically pretty fast and if you decide to fish subsurface with nymphs or streamers, you're going to be using some heavy flies, or more split shot than normal, to get deep enough. Also due to the swift flow, if you hook into a fish of any considerable size, you're going to want a rod with enough backbone to fight the fish and the current. I'd also recommend studded wading boots and/or a wading staff. There are some easier areas to wade, and plenty of rocks to fish from, but that river also has some of the toughest wading conditions I've ever encountered. Have fun up there, the stretch along 86 from just northeast of Lake Placid to Betters Pool is one of the prettiest stretches of river you could come across.

Wow, very mature........... I can see you it would be a waste of time even trying to have any sort of intelligent conversation with you. I try to make a point, and you come back with petty insults. I hope I never run into you on the river, I couldn't imagine sharing it with someone as "gracious" and "informed" as yourself.

Quote: SearchingSolitude, the ignorance of your statement is astounding.

PUH LEASE... you took it there first. I'll compare my college degrees to yours any day. How's that for mature?

If you run into me on the river... better cinch up your wading belt.

*ignore*

Boys Boys Boys!!!

This was started for information on the river, lets keep it there! We are all entitled to our opinions, but not all are right?

We should try and not spend our time fighting amongst ourselves, but helping others and educating them on the positive side of Catch and release and the proper way to release. A fish that is not properly released is a dead fish anyways!

This river has given me alot of memories and I even had my Honey Moon there!

I have one sad memory and thats loosing my Friend Fran Betters!

Check out the pocketwater with the famed Ausable Wulff its so fun and some good fish to boot!

You will really enjoy this river, every type of water is there to be fished and its all fun!

There are some good fish to be caught too! Ask the local fly shops they will all help you and let you know the flies!

Enjoy your time there! Its a great place to fish!

Blessings,

Jeremy

Boys Boys Boys!!!

This was started for information on the river, lets keep it there! We are all entitled to our opinions, but not all are right?

We should try and not spend our time fighting amongst ourselves, but helping others and educating them on the positive side of Catch and release and the proper way to release. A fish that is not properly released is a dead fish anyways!

This river has given me alot of memories and I even had my Honey Moon there!

I have one sad memory and thats loosing my Friend Fran Betters!

Check out the pocketwater with the famed Ausable Wulff its so fun and some good fish to boot!

You will really enjoy this river, every type of water is there to be fished and its all fun!

There are some good fish to be caught too! Ask the local fly shops they will all help you and let you know the flies!

Enjoy your time there! Its a great place to fish!

Blessings,

Jeremy

Blessed are the Peacemakers for they shall be called the Children of God.

- Searching!!

Speaking of the Ausable is any one here going up next weekend for the 2fly competition???? I am and also will be one of the guest tyer's Friday night.

mike