Fly Tying
TOM PRUETT

FINDING IT HARD TO TIE 18 TO 24

To my mind you are using a very poor choice of hook for small flies. First the 200R has a bend in the shank that closes the effective gape. Second in small sizes the gape is tiny when what you want is a over-sized gape. Third using a XL shank means that a size 24 200R has a hook shank length of a 20 with the gape of a 24 so you get a body that is too big for the size and a gape that is too small for good hooking. Better choices would be a dry fly hook with a short shank and an extra wide gape like the Partridge Capt. Hamilton Perfect Bend dry fly hook, or the Tiemco 102Y for example. Remember it isn't the hook size number that makes a small fly it is the size of the body of the fly and the other parts that are in proper proportion to the body size.

I apologize for any confusion regarding this post. It was meant as a reply to Tom Pruett's post directly above regarding using the Tiemco 200R hook and not directed to the original fly in the first post.

To my mind you are using a very poor choice of hook for small flies. First the 200R has a bend in the shank that closes the effective gape....

That's not his fly in that link. He used a 3906. Your point is well made, though.

so then, if I tie a tiny body, wings, hackle on a #10 Mustad 94840, what size fly is it? Or what if I tie an extended-body green drake on the same hook?

so then, if I tie a tiny body, wings, hackle on a #10 Mustad 94840, what size fly is it? Or what if I tie an extended-body green drake on the same hook?

I would suggest the answer is in my last sentence in my previous post. Namely, "Remember it isn't the hook size number that makes a small fly it is the size of the body of the fly and the other parts that are in proper proportion to the body size." Swisher and Richards popularized the use of small sized flies on large hooks with their "demi" style, and of course the Atlantic salmon fishermen have the "low water style" which again are smaller flies tied on larger hooks, finally I would point out the Clyde style flies that are very tiny sparse dressings on hooks many sizes larger than the fly. Likewise, an extended body fly is the size of the body not the small hook used as the foundation of the fly. For example on Michigan's AuSable River many popular patterns when I was fishing it during the Hex are 2 inch extended body flies on size 10 and 12 hooks.

Another hook to look into if you're a fan of Tiemco is the 2488 or 2488H. On a 2X short shank you're actually tying a size smaller than the given hook size. By that I mean on a size 16 you're actually tying a size 18. With a straight eye and an extra wide gap you'll find it a bunch easier to tie smaller flies.

Mike

Tom...I think a long shank hook in the smaller sizes is not an optimal choice if you're looking to hook the fish. You want to go for better hook gap on the smaller flies and actually a shorter shank hook will allow you tie the smaller sizes and still have a decent hook gap. The best midge hooks in my experience are the Vince Marinaro midge and Capt Hamilton by Partridge.

They're expensive and this is an example of you get what you pay for. When I tied midges commercially many moons ago I used the Mustad 94942 and plenty of people caught fish on those flies.

Just my thoughts....

Tom...I think a long shank hook in the smaller sizes is not an optimal choice if you're looking to hook the fish. You want to go for better hook gap on the smaller flies and actually a shorter shank hook will allow you tie the smaller sizes and still have a decent hook gap. The best midge hooks in my experience are the Vince Marinaro midge and Capt Hamilton by Partridge.

They're expensive and this is an example of you get what you pay for. When I tied midges commercially many moons ago I used the Mustad 94942 and plenty of people caught fish on those flies.

Just my thoughts....

I ordered Capt Hamilton by Partridge .100 of the •K1A - VINCE MARINARO MIDGE HOOKS and•K14ST - OLIVER EDWARDS NYMPH/EMERGER HOOKS

and •E1A - HOOPER L/S 4X FINE DRY FLY HOOKS iam going to them out!!! i should get them monday :)