Fly Tying
Robert M

Redfish and Speckled Trout Swap

How did I do?  

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Please count me! I will tie Glen Mikkleson's Acrylic Crab.

Welcome aboard KayakerStan!

We are up to eight patterns now I am going to give it till this Sunday and call it a swap. So if we get anymore tier's between now and then that will determine the final tally of how many flies to tie. Right now we are looking at tying 7 flies and getting non of your own back or tying 8 and getting your back. We will see what happens between now and Sunday.

send me your addy. ill send in 11 and you keep what doesnt need to go around for doing this . stuff is going to get crazy for me hear very very soon .

send me your addy. ill send in 11 and you keep what doesnt need to go around for doing this . stuff is going to get crazy for me hear very very soon .

Addy sent. Try to stop and do something that makes you happy and clear your head while you do the move, even if it is for a few minutes. Good Luck

I'm in...I'll let you know asap what I'll be tying...

Nice to have you on board. 5 More days and I shut this one down!

I little Bit about a few of the tiers in this swap maybe it will peak your interest and get you to join up :headbang:

Me:

I am a 49 year old from Central Texas

I have been fly tying since I was 16 but I have had two big breaks in there were my stuff got put away. My tying stuff got put up when I was 19 because I started almost exclusively fishing with bait for several years. It came back out in 1996 where I tied sporadically for a couple years until the internet entered my life and a Listserve called FlyFish@ I learned about swaps on this list! From June 1998 until Feb. 2003 I participated on average in 3-5 swaps a months non stop. I was in two 100 fly swaps (Byard Miller's Caddis Swap) and hosted over 30 swaps.

From Feb. 2003 until about a month and a half ago my tying stuff got stored away.

I am trying to get back my proficiency but I am a mediocre tier at best. I love to experiment and seldom follow established patterns.

As far as being a fly fisherman I am probably less than mediocre my casting sucks, I seldom can set my hook on a fish and I love every minute of it I can manage. I mostly fish warmwater but make it to the coast a couple times a year. I have always loved the salt. Robert

LClemens:

I am a past president of East Jersey Trout Unlimited of which I also served on the Board of Directors for 10 years. Fly fished extensively in New Jersey, the catskills, PA and the Jersey shore. I now reside in Virginia Beach and have been on the board of the Virginia Coastal Fly Angers for 8 years and serves as it's president for three of them. I fish the lower Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries for striped bass, false albacore, bluefish big red and "puppy" drum, black drum, spadefish, speckled trout and flounder (and anything else that takes my fly). I almost exclusively fly fish and am on the water an average of two to three times a week. I have tied flies for over 20 years and have taught fly tying through the above mentioned groups and other community events. I tie trout, saltwater, bass, and fully dressed salmon flies, but most are saltwater now as I fish for those species. Larry

SpeiserStudio:

My name is Lora Speiser, I am 37 years old. I am married to a wonderful man that supports all of my crazy projects and never grumbles LOL

We have a little boy age 3½ years and he is wonderful

We live in southern Central IL, and I am the only fisher-person in the family since my husband doesn't really fish...but our little one is one heck of a good caster! My goodness, he is going to grow up to be my fishing buddy! He has his own little pole (with a lure and no hook) and all he wants to do is cast (go fishing)! We are all owned by two German Shepherds, 6 Rouen Ducks and an Oscar.

My Dad taught me how to caress a fly rod at age 5. (That's what he called it, Caressing it...he told me you never "fish" with a fly rod, you caress it) I started tying flies with him when I was 6 or 7. Now, we didn't tie anything like what you all tie in here! We just made simple flies and dry flies. We didn't have any special materials or anything, so a lot of this is all new to me. The one thing I never forgot was how to wrap the hackle feathers around. The dry flies were my favorite

I stopped tying when I was 8 and my parent split up, but I always wanted to tie again..so now I found this wonderful forum and here I am...30 years later LOL

My Dad is gone now, but I am sure he is cheering me on from up there. Lora

Flies & Photos:

I've been fly fishing and tying for about 12 years now. Jeez, that seems short. I worked at a fly shop in Kingwood, TX for a short time while a finished my masters degree. I fly fish mostly in the Galveston Bay complex, but I'm always looking for an excuse to take a day trip or overnight trip to Matagorda or Port Aransas. Dave

creekfishin:

Well lets see i have been fly fishing for about 20 years or so . I started tying flies in july . i was just getting over surgery on my shoulder . and could not get out of the house so i got into tying flys. i have been in 4 swaps i think maybe 5 cant remember .. but i try not to count them. I fish for what ever will eat my fly in southeast texas . fresh or salt

agn54:

I have lived in Florida my whole life - born in Miami, lived in Tallahassee for a while now in Gainesville. I grew up fishing but took up flyfishing only a couple of years ago. I began tying about 2 years ago and was quickly addicted. I fish almost exclusively salt, although in winter months I like to fish for speckled perch (crappie). I fish mostly inshore, either flats/oyster bars for trout and reds or casting along mangrove shores and bridges for snook, but also fish inlets where occasionally I'll use bait (during the day).

I'm not the greatest tyer in the world but my flies seem to catch fish (occasionally) without falling apart so I can't complain. Luckily, fish don't care if it's not a work of art. My casting has improved alot but still needs an awful lot of work to get to a resectable level. Andy

Join the fun it sure ain't gonna hurt ya!

I'm going to go with a Shrimp Gurgler. I have had some great luck with it and there is nothing as cool as seeing a trout smack topwater

Just one or two more and we fill the swap! Come on folks you got five weeks to tie the flies thats like two a week :rolleyes: you can do that with your hands tied behind your back <_<

I am thinking of tying a seaducer or deceiver...you guys ok with that?

Thats a baitfish so works for me let me know which you decide on.