Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
tmatt26

Under- lining?

Okay fellas.

I hear people talk about over lining their fly rods all the time, but never about under lining them.

I know i throw 4wt line on my 6wt rod when it's calm and I'm casting long distances.

Anyone else do this?

not something i've ever done, I can throw a six 30yards pretty accuratley and if i was using fours it's be short range so i never saw the need. I have occasionally over lined for fishing with big flies or when i had to load up really quickly.

martyn

I have seen more than a few rods designated any given "weight" which performed better by moving up or down a weight of line, but not two weights. It's a combination of variables in the manufacturing processes. Usually going up a weight helps load the rod and transfer energy easier, if the rod prefers it.

Maybe your "six weight" has the wrong sticker on it?! I'm certainly not the smartest toad in the pond, but I don't understand how under-loading a rod would help? It seems to me that if a given rod performs well with a 4 weight line, then it is a 4 weight, no matter what the fancy printing on the blank says.

Then, you go see Lefty Kreh cast an entire fly line with no rod at all.

It's good that you found what works well. A lot of folks might be missing out (including me) by not trying a different weight line on whatever rod. It can sure get kind of expensive though. I have a 7 weight that casts a 7 weight floating line really well, but rockets out an 8 weight like a dream. I tried a 6 weight DT on it and it's doable, but not as good.

Under-lining is typically used when casting long distances is required. For those who do not understand the mechanics, fly line weight designations are determined by the first 30 feet of a fly line. So when you cast a 6wt, in theory, 30 feet of line is what is needed to ideally load the rod, as stated by the manufacture for that specific rod/action. However, once you get more then 30 feet of line out, you are "technically" overloading the rod, because of the increase in line weight. So if you underline, you will essentially not hit the required weight to "properly" load the rod until you are at 60 feet. Basically a rod can handle 3 line weights, which is why a lot of old rods where labeled this way. Take a moderate action 6wt for example: 6wt line=moderate action, 5wt line=med fast action, and 7wt line= slow action.

Example of when to over and under line a rod- your fishing a 5wt for trout, and the 15ft casts you are making fail to load the rod properly, switch to a 6wt line and the rod will load and thus transfer more energy more efficiently to your line. You are fishing your 8wt for bass, and find the rod powers out 10 feet short of where you need to cast due to the weight of the water logged bass bug and line, switch to a 7wt and you will have to adjust your cast so you dont OVER shoot the area.

This is a significantly dumbed down explanation, and not to be taken word for word, just for illustrative purposes for those who do not understand over/under lining rods.

Under-lining is typically used when casting long distances is required. For those who do not understand the mechanics, fly line weight designations are determined by the first 30 feet of a fly line. So when you cast a 6wt, in theory, 30 feet of line is what is needed to ideally load the rod, as stated by the manufacture for that specific rod/action. However, once you get more then 30 feet of line out, you are "technically" overloading the rod, because of the increase in line weight. So if you underline, you will essentially not hit the required weight to "properly" load the rod until you are at 60 feet. Basically a rod can handle 3 line weights, which is why a lot of old rods where labeled this way. Take a moderate action 6wt for example: 6wt line=moderate action, 5wt line=med fast action, and 7wt line= slow action.

Example of when to over and under line a rod- your fishing a 5wt for trout, and the 15ft casts you are making fail to load the rod properly, switch to a 6wt line and the rod will load and thus transfer more energy more efficiently to your line. You are fishing your 8wt for bass, and find the rod powers out 10 feet short of where you need to cast due to the weight of the water logged bass bug and line, switch to a 7wt and you will have to adjust your cast so you dont OVER shoot the area.

This is a significantly dumbed down explanation, and not to be taken word for word, just for illustrative purposes for those who do not understand over/under lining rods.

That's a nice explanation. I always thought it was really only best to over line, and never a good idea to under line. Your explanation shows a good reason to under line. Of course, for years, because I was cheap, I use to use a 5wt line on an 8wt rod...once I switch I could tell a huge difference.