Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mfick

Mayfly Hooks

post-19630-1272424534_thumb.jpg

Recently came across a couple sizes of FLYBODY Hooks, made to tie extended body mayflies. They look really cool but I have never seen a pattern using them, anyone have any experience with these? A picture is included describing the shape of the hook, they are older hooks found at a garage sale.

I've never seen these, but it looks like a sweet design. I guess my only concern would be floatation with all of that hook to float? I'd love to see a fly tied on one when you get around to it.

~Evan

the trick to tying on these type hooks is to use foam in the tail area to help with floatation I had some of them about 15 years ago and loved them but alas mine are all gone and they don't make them any more

Just cut a section of small paper clip and tie it to the shaft of Mustad R50.

Thats a Partridge K10 (Yorkshire Fly Body hook.) I don't know if they are still making them, but they are offered on eBay from time to time. I look forward to seeing what you do with yours.

Thats a Partridge K10 (Yorkshire Fly Body hook.) I don't know if they are still making them, but they are offered on eBay from time to time. I look forward to seeing what you do with yours.

Rockworm you are cool man :headbang: You know your hooks!!

Partridge does not make these hooks any more, I have about 20 size #14 and the same in #16 going to keep these for realistics, just not yet!

They are a real cool hook try tying some extend a body nymphs on them to they work great!

Blessings,

Jeremy

Rockworm you are cool man :headbang: You know your hooks!!

Partridge does not make these hooks any more, I have about 20 size #14 and the same in #16 going to keep these for realistics, just not yet!

They are a real cool hook try tying some extend a body nymphs on them to they work great!

Blessings,

Jeremy

you can still find the them via the net. A few years ago I scored a few packs from Bob Marriots Fly Shop. Ebay is always a good bet and I know you can still find them in some of the european sites.

The hook in your picture is an extended mayfly body hook. It could be a Partridge K10 Yorkshire Fly Body hook. The Partridge K10 hooks are a stiffer wire hook along the same stature as a Mustad dry fly hook. I have a couple hundred of the K10 in sizes 12 to 16. I have tied a lot of extended bodies using everything from dubbing to foam. I have parachuted them, split winged them, elk hair winged them, zing winged them, river foamed them, etc... I like to hackle them and then trim the bottom of the hackle. You can shorten the body by clipping it off with a pair of wire cutters. I also use a drop of head cement or super glue at the end of the tail to prevent the thread from sliding off the body. I will try and post some pictures tonight. They make great looking mayflies.

Rob

The hook in your picture is an extended mayfly body hook. It could be a Partridge K10 Yorkshire Fly Body hook. The Partridge K10 hooks are a stiffer wire hook along the same stature as a Mustad dry fly hook. I have a couple hundred of the K10 in sizes 12 to 16. I have tied a lot of extended bodies using everything from dubbing to foam. I have parachuted them, split winged them, elk hair winged them, zing winged them, river foamed them, etc... I like to hackle them and then trim the bottom of the hackle. You can shorten the body by clipping it off with a pair of wire cutters. I also use a drop of head cement or super glue at the end of the tail to prevent the thread from sliding off the body. I will try and post some pictures tonight. They make great looking mayflies.

Rob

Question?? A hook is built a certain way so that its balanced, cutting it will destroy that balance and inturn destroy how a fly would land on the water??

Blessings,

Jeremy

The hook ain't balanced until you stick some fur and feathers (foam and cellophane) on it. It's the wings, hackle and tail that balance this hook.